AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this may seem like an odd question, or at least an odd reason for asking this question...but here goes.

I currently have a Motorola DCT-5100 STB. We got this box while with Comcast. Well, like many folks, we have now been switched over to Time Warner. The box works fine, and I've been happy with the picture and features for the most part. I don't need DVR because I handle all that on a dedicated media server.

What I would like to do is possibly ask Time Warner for a new box for one reason and one reason only. I want a box that is narrower.

I recently purchased my first real sound system. I am going to have to do some major rearranging to fit everything in. Right now, my TV (Sony XBR-960), sits atop a TV stand/entertainment center that is flat across the top, has two cabinets (one on each end), a small shelf in the middle above a large drawer. Currently the cable box in on this small shelf below the TV, there is an Xbox in the left cabinet on a shelf and there is the old shelf system in the cabinet on the right. I will be removing the drawer and placing the receiver on the bottom "shelf". This area is a good 22" wide and 12.5" tall, plenty of room for the receiver. Since I'm losing my shelf system I need a new cd player. I've been told not to stack anything on top of the receiver, I certainly understand the reasoning for this. So the only place left to put it is on the small shelf where the STB currently resides. So I've got to move the STB and the only place left is the side cabinets. I noticed that the SA boxes from Time Warner are skinnier and would fit in this area. How does the video quality compare with the Motorola? Would this be an upgrade, downgrade or lateral move for me?

I apologize for being so long winded, but I figured I'd head off any questions of "why do you want to switch anyways?"

Thanks in advance,

David

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Is the Moto too WIDE or too TALL? If too tall, see if the feet can be removed & replaced with shallower ones from your local hardware store.

How about adding a drop-down shelf above the receiver, so the box doesn't need to sit directly on top of it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The box itself is too WIDE. Typical component width of 17".

I've actually started work on a Flexy rack to hold everything.

My wife will be sending you guys the bill for all of this, I assure you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.