AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search here - and on the audio forum - didn't really find anything. And I'm not sure if I should post this here or on the audio forum, but thought I'd try here first.

I just had my Comcast digital STB replaced with a Motorola DCT6200 HDTV STB. It is connected to my Toshiba 46H83 TV via component cables and the audio is connected to my Rotel A/V receiver via an optical/Toslink cable. I am getting an annoying clicking/popping noise from all of my speakers; the noise occurs every few seconds. With my old STB, connected to my A/V receiver via composite cables, (the best connections offered by the old box) I had no such problem.

Is this being caused by the Comcast provided - possibly cheap - optical cable? I don't want to spend $80 or so on a replacement cable only to find that all I needed to do was change some setting on my receiver. :(

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit - I did a little more checking - this clicking noise does not occur when I am watching HD broadcasts, just when I am watching SD broadcasts...I would say this must mean that the optical cable is O.K... :confused:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Dependent on length Optical cables are 10 to $30 at Radio Shack. I have been using these optical cables for three years with absolutly no problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bruce - So I take it you mean that the problem can not be the optical cable? Or are you saying it could be the Comcast cable and I should replace it with a RatShack cable? :confused:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm assuming you don't have another piece of cable to try?

Do you have another optical input on your Rotel? Try switching it and seeing if it makes the same noise.

Do you have another component that has an optical output? Try plugging that in, using the same piece of Comcrap cable into the same input on your Rotel and check it that way.

If it passes both of those tests, I would guess 99% it's the STB itself.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was under the impression that there was no difference in optical cables. Since it uses light to carry the signal, there is no loss or anything. I don't think spending money on another cable would make a difference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the same problem with my 6200 that was delivered this Wednesday. Crackling noise only with the digital stations and none on the HD or Music ones. It's very annoying and I didn't notice it until the installer had left.

I tried disconnecting the optical cable and left the audio RCA ones in that came attached to the component cable supplied by Comcast and still get the crackling.

OakIris, we live in the same area in Westminster so I hope it's not just a local problem. I thought about changing out to a coaxial audio cable but when the standard stereo audio cables keep the same crackling noise I decided to hold off getting one for now.

I thought I had seen something in another thread a few weeks ago but can not find it again. I am sure this is the right forum as the problem wasn't there before the 6200 was installed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nigel T - This is somewhat disappointing. Sounds as if changing out the cable won't help. I might try it tonight, anyway, as suggested by clubwerks - I have a better quality optical cable for my DVD drive - just to eliminate the possibility that the cheap Comcast cable is at fault.

I wonder if calling Comcast would do any good??

·
Registered
129 Posts
OakIris - I tried disconnecting the optical cable and just used the stereo ones that were part of the component cable. The noise was still there but I had only disconnected the end at the A/V. Maybe as the optical cable was still connected at the 6200 it might still be causing something. If you do call Comcast tell them someone else in the same area also has the problem.

Is there any other new 6200 owners out there with a problem like what OakIris and I have?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm probably going to wait until tomorrow to try my other optical cable - spending my wild Friday night "playing" on my computer and listening to music instead. :p

If the problem is still present after the cable change, I'll call Comcast, though I'm not too hopeful that they'll be very responsive.

I, too, would like to know if other Comcast/Motorola 6200 users are experiencing a similar problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
FYI Care of fiber optical cables.

Fiber cables are more fragile than electrical wires especially at the connectors! Always replace the dust caps on your optical cables and in your unit when you remove the cables. Ensure your optical connectors are spotless as in ZERO dirt as in nothing on the end of your cables. Even a tiny spec can seriously distort coherent optical signals produced by a laser. However the cables are multimode and tend to be more forgiving. Replace the cable if it has a permanent kink or has been crushed or bent too tightly. You can check the quality of light from the end of your fiber directing the output on to a card. If it's visible then it should appear as a even spot fading to the edges with no hot spots or marked structure and shouldn't drop out as you move the fiber (possible break).

NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE LIGHT OUT OF THE FIBER WITH YOUR REMAINING GOOD EYE!

From one who knows

·
Registered
231 Posts
I believe it's probably the comcast unit. I get a small amount of popping occasionally from my DirecTV unit.

I once sold a Phillips DVD player, because despite them (Phillips) repeatedly replacing the unit, I still had popping. The Sony player I replaced it with didn't make any noise at all!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got my Motorola box from Comcast yesterday and am having the exact same problem, occasional popping from the speakers. The worst are the regular cable channels from 1-100, the digitals are better, and the HD are the best.

I also tried regular RCA cables and an optical, and it occurs with both. I've never had a problem with any other components so it's either something with this box or the signal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I thought the 1-100 regular channels are also transmitted digitally. The picture is definitely better than the standard cable I had before unless it's the new box making it better. The crackling noise in my speakers is all the time for digital stations, not an occasional popping.

Is any one using a Coaxial Audio cable instead of optical or RCA Stereo and doesn't have the problem?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems to me now that the cable can not be the problem. At least in my case, the clicking/popping noise doesn't occur at all on the HD channels, only on the non-HD channels. I would think that if the cable was at fault, the clicking would occur no matter what channel was being watched/listened to.

There are now at least 3 of us with the same problem with different cables. The common denominators are that we all have Comcast and Motorola STBs. I'm wondering it the problem is the Comcast signal - lots of people here seem to have the Motorola set top boxes but this seems to be the first thread discussing the audio problem.

The JMan - are you using an A/V receiver for your audio, or are you using your TV speakers for the audio?

Like you, Nigel, I'd like to know whether or not anyone using a coaxial cable for audio has a similar problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OAK Iris: I'm using a Marantz SR7200 receiver. I've never had anything similar occur with my DVD player (optical digital) or cd player (analog RCA). I also connected and reconnected everything.

I do have an extra coaxial wire, when I have time (probably not until tomorrow night) I can try to connect the audio with this. My gut feeling is though if it's ocurring with both the dig optical and analog RCA that it has nothing to do with the type of connection.

·
Registered
129 Posts
TheJMan, are you located in Denver as well?

I thought I saw a thread a while back, nothing to do with cable boxes saying someone had crackling in the speakers and a coaxial cable fixed it instead of the optical. I too don't think this will fix it if the analog cables still have the same noise but I guess it's worth a try. Let us know how you get on.

The Superbowl was fantastic in HD and a call to Comcast might result in them giving us the old 5100 model. I'm guessing the three of us went straight to the 6200 and didn't have the 5100 before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Actually I'm outside of Philly. I think that I have the 5100. The guy came to hook everything up yesterday and I only had about an hour to mess with it and then I was out the rest of the day. Tomorrow night I'll try the coax and let you know how I make out.

The HD picture was stunning, hopefully we'll get the sound issue resolved!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Same Problem, but improving over the last week.

After checking connections/swapping cables, I'm thinking it has something to do with the network switching from HD to SD for commercials etc. as that seems consistent with when I hear it. Not sure it's something I have any control over.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TheJMan - let us know what happens when you use the coaxial cable instead of the optical cable.

SilverHemi03 - When I'm watching an HD broadcast and it switches to a commercial, I haven't noticed that the clicking occurs on the commercial. It only seems to occur - and all the time - when I am watching/listening to an SD channel.

NigelT - You're right - the 6200 is the first High Definition STB I've had. The prior digital STB I had did not have any audio problems....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem here outside of Philly. All the movie channels and HD channels come in fine but channels 1-100 or so have a crackle in my speakers. I have tried everything. I have used optical cables, Coax digital, Red and white cables. I have even used the ground connection on the back of my Receiver to the heater to see if I can get ride of the static to no avail. i am going to try to call Comcast to see if there is anything I can do about it. But if allot of people are having a problem with the same box then it may be something that even Comcast can't do anything about other can contact Motorola about the complaints. I try to watch as much HD content as possible (which along with the higher channels and all the movie channels sounds just fine, especially the 5.1 stuff), So I will just have to not watch the lower channels and if I do I have the listen to the sound from the F cable sound directly into the TV which sound fine (even if my TV speakers and not nearly as goon as my mirage's). Oh well.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.