Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is just an FYI,

this years Gravity Games aired in SD on OLN (Outdoor Life Network) and most of it was shot in SD, except the FMX motorcycle stuff which was 6 or 8 HD cameras on the course. Also they had a couple of HDCAM (1080i) guys running around covering most of the events (skateboarding, bikes, motorcycles) for archival purposes for this sports event competitor to ESPN's X Games. The X Games have been HD for a couple of years now.

All of the athlete profiles and portraits were shot with a Panasonic HD Varicam (720p) but downcoverted and edited at SD.

While the Gravity Games brand is its own entity since 1999 and events air on different networks such as Winter Gravity Games, and Gravity H20, as well as the regular Gravity Games (summer) I think we can expect these types of sports to go HD for programming by 2007. After 5 years at NBC the summer Gravity Games were licensed by OLN. It was never a money maker for NBC as they programmed them on weekends after NASCAR. and When NASCAR had a rain delay sometimes the Gravity Games didn't air at all that weekend. FMX has a large audience as well as the newer sport Super MotoX hence Gravity Games' reason (not necessarily OLN's choice at the moment) to shoot the motorcycle stuff in HD for possibly broadcast on other networks. The actual tapes (2004) are owned by the parent company of OLN that has more than one network.

any comments on fans of motox sports or extreme sports and comparison of X Games would be welcome. These are the handful of events that are actually televised of extreme sports as well as the Vans triple crown which was on ESPN2 i believe.

With the bulk of skateboarding, bicycle and in-line skateboarding fans under 25 (under 21?) I was wondering who here on AVSForum likes these sports and would like to see more in HD?

-kspaz

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I love watching x sports. Hopefully they can will finally start airing some in HD. Just like other sports, it would benefit from the widescreen format, and I think with the x sports/music link, the 5.1 could be awesome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.