AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big picture window that faces Southwest. The morning sun blasts into the house and directly in line with my Founten automated thermostat, causing the system to think its much warmer than it really is. So, I need to install automated roller/solar shades because the window is about 15 feet up on the wall. The shades will be battery operated and the window is about 7ftW x 6ftH.

The prices I'm getting for automated shades are off the charts. I looked at Lutron, Hunter Douglas, Qmotion and Somfy. I'm going to install myself, but the estimates are between $600 and $800!! This will be a stand alone unit, not tied into the home automation.

Would appreciate any recent experience with motorized shades that you would be able to share. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a big picture window that faces Southwest. The morning sun blasts into the house and directly in line with my Founten automated thermostat, causing the system to think its much warmer than it really is. So, I need to install automated roller/solar shades because the window is about 15 feet up on the wall. The shades will be battery operated and the window is about 7ftW x 6ftH.

The prices I'm getting for automated shades are off the charts. I looked at Lutron, Hunter Douglas, Qmotion and Somfy. I'm going to install myself, but the estimates are between $600 and $800!!
These are good prices. One of the least expensive options here is probably Serena shades, and no-frills no-options roller shade with cheapest fabric will run you $580. You can check it out yourself at serenashades.com. Anything else from Lutron or Hunter Douglas is going to be more expensive than Serena.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I bought a motorized solar shade for a giant window behind the whirpool tub (had to step in the tub to open/close blinds) at our last house. It was a while ago but IIRC I got it from blinds.com. I think it was 3 or 4 hundred with the battery powered roller and remote. The shade was shearweave.

Tim

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a motorized solar shade for a giant window behind the whirpool tub (had to step in the tub to open/close blinds) at our last house. It was a while ago but IIRC I got it from blinds.com. I think it was 3 or 4 hundred with the battery powered roller and remote. The shade was shearweave.

Tim
Motorized shades are one of the coolest things we do! Clients love them and even though they are expensive, they have a tremendous amount of utility. Many of our clients have told us that is their favorite element of their "automated" home.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Motorized shades are one of the coolest things we do! Clients love them and even though they are expensive, they have a tremendous amount of utility. Many of our clients have told us that is their favorite element of their "automated" home.
We have had the same experience. Lots of Lutron, and now Qmotion, shades installed with 100% happy customers. For a standalone application you can't get wrong with either Lutron or Qmotion. Both are reliable and very quiet.

Lutron offers the slim Pico remote or the ability to control with Caseta. Qmotion offers a +/-$100 "Timer Remote" that will allows you to program a schedule for the shade with a minimal investment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have Qmotion in my house and I love them.

The prices you were quoted were extremely fair if not lower than they should be. Pull the trigger my friend. It will be something you appreciate every day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Northeast,

Shades don't have to be expensive.

I purchased the motor from rollertrol for around $90.00 (i have the same size window as you) . You will provide the tubing and the fabric so i think in total i have spent around $150.00. I control it with a vera edge and it works great. I originally wanted to go battery but decided to instead get it hard wired. If you want to go battery just purchase a 12 volt home alarm battery and a solar power charger. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
My Lutron motorized shade is my favorite part of my kitchen remodel. Down at 8P, up at 6:30A, controlled with RA2.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm curious, how long do the batteries last in these things? I have a few where getting to them to replace the battery would be a major hassle, so if it is required too often it's going to be a problem. But the fact that no one has mentioned that issue so far leads me to believe they last a decent amount of time?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm curious, how long do the batteries last in these things? I have a few where getting to them to replace the battery would be a major hassle, so if it is required too often it's going to be a problem. But the fact that no one has mentioned that issue so far leads me to believe they last a decent amount of time?
3-5 years, assuming reasonably light fabric choice and operating the shade 4x/day.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
My kitchen shade is hardwired. I don't want to deal with batteries.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided to go with the Lutron Serena. They were offering a 20% discount and free shipping. I will install it next week and let you all know how I like them.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
One of the reasons, I think, that Lutron shades are regarded as very high quality is because they're usually installed by very experienced installers. Anyone can hang a shade, but some experience helps ensure a top-notch final product.

·
Registered
119 Posts
One of the reasons, I think, that Lutron shades are regarded as very high quality is because they're usually installed by very experienced installers. Anyone can hang a shade, but some experience helps ensure a top-notch final product.
It isn't that hard to install a Lutron shade. It is literally as easy as screwing a bracket with few screws to the window/above window, and snapping the shade into place. Anyone can do it.

Where you need to be careful and take your time is when you measure, quote, and then place the order. Experience helps here.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
It isn't that hard to install a Lutron shade. It is literally as easy as screwing a bracket with few screws to the window/above window, and snapping the shade into place. Anyone can do it.

Where you need to be careful and take your time is when you measure, quote, and then place the order. Experience helps here.
Absolutely. Specifying is more than half the difficulty.

I can't say enough good things about our installer. Super helpful, very experienced, great guy. Made the install easy, working very well with the other subs during the remodel.

Met him at the first local BLAST training 6 years ago, kept his card.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided to go with the Lutron Serena. They were offering a 20% discount and free shipping. I will install it next week and let you all know how I like them.
I must have just missed that sale. I was thinking of ordering the same shades. One of the things I like about the Serena is that the battery pack is in the headrail.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am getting excited about the arrival of my new shades and was curious if those with the lutron serena shades have experienced any issues since this post was created. I got a free smart bridge L-bdg2-wh and 20% off with mine and they should work with my Homekit and Alexa setup. I AM looking to get the smart bridge pro though but they seem to be in scarce supply. I almost purchased one on Amazon but when i asked to confirm that it was a PRO they replied that the add was a misprint. I believe I am going to need the pro for roomie/simple control integration.

·
Registered
18 Posts

The prices I'm getting for automated shades are off the charts. I looked at Lutron, Hunter Douglas, Qmotion and Somfy. I'm going to install myself, but the estimates are between $600 and $800!! This will be a stand alone unit, not tied into the home automation.

Would appreciate any recent experience with motorized shades that you would be able to share. :)
Sounds about right. Just make sure the Motor is strong enough.
Also, battery powered may be a little loud as compared to hardwired.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts