AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking for budget friendly motorized shades to tie into my automation system(haven’t decided on control system yet). Can anyone suggestion some brands? Thanks

·
Registered
850 Posts
I’d pick the controller first.

that said - Somfy is very popular. They have a cheaper Bali lineup available at Lowe’s and Home Depot. Their own label stuff is a bit nicer and you can get a good price and support at avoutlet.com

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
iblinds use z-wave. I have been happy with mine.
I would really like to retrofit our existing blinds and this seems like the best option but the total cost of ~$800 is preventing me from pulling the trigger. This also "feels" like it's an item that shouldn't cost that much to make & from what I've read online others are in agreement. If they could find a way to lower the cost I'd be onboard & I think they'd make more total profit based on volume.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I’d pick the controller first.

that said - Somfy is very popular. They have a cheaper Bali lineup available at Lowe’s and Home Depot. Their own label stuff is a bit nicer and you can get a good price and support at avoutlet.com
Yup. but it's just a difficult concept for someone just getting their feet wet. It usually takes $3K of buying the wrong stuff first ;)

We like somfy stuff too. That's what we install when doing our own integrations. But a little more expensive than HunterDouglas. We usually install the RS485 versions. Either 24V or 110v depending on size and weight of blind / shade. But certainly only for new construction or major remodels. I think the OP is past this point.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I built my own from scratch. Google a company called "Rollertrol". I used their motors in an EMT tube with totally opaque fabdic. On shad is 12' x 2' for clerestory windows, and the other 4' x 4' for a relatively standard window. Built mouldings. Shades completely hidden, controlled by 12v DC relays controlled by my home theater s automation system. The theater also has fully automated "Star Trek" sliding doors, levitron auto dimming lighting under control of the theater automations system

1 - 7 of 7 Posts