AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you got your Motorola cable box 5100 from Comcast,the tech brought a component cable with him or you had to buy your own?

I had for a week,and I've got it with a component,I was surprised when I saw him with one,cable looks okay ,but the picture is fantastic.

What about you guys?

Thanks

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
I had my own cable ready before they brought the box, so I didn't notice what the tech had with him.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When my Comcast Moto 5100 was installed in January, not only did the tech have nothing but composite cables, he very politely and diligently tried to persuade me to return the component cables I was pre-armed with, since his cables were "free" and "would do the same thing." He had told me that he had done many HD installs before mine. The tech also had no idea what I was doing as he watched me connect the digital audio outputs. (Ironically, the tech was extremely polite and diligent; maybe the nicest one I have ever dealt with).

I understand learning curves, but this was very scary. One can only guess how many people who don't know better are being victimized by this. I sent Comcast an e-mail, but got nothing back but the de riguer response.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trickd
When my Comcast Moto 5100 was installed in January, not only did the tech have nothing but composite cables, he very politely and diligently tried to persuade me to return the component cables I was pre-armed with, since his cables were "free" and "would do the same thing."
Were they three of the yellow "video" composite cables? Because if so, he was pretty much right.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
I had my own cable ready before they brought the box, so I didn't notice what the tech had with him.
How much was it?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
Were they three of the yellow "video" composite cables? Because if so, he was pretty much right.
Can you explain that better?

Thanks

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bizuca
Can you explain that better?
"Component" cables are nothing more than a set of 3 RCA video cables packaged together and color-coded. If you have three separate composite video cables (the yellow ones, not the red or white audio cables which have inferior impedance) they will serve the same purpose so long as you keep them organized and plug them in correctly.

As for the component cables that I already had on hand, I paid something like $30 for a set of Acoustic Research cables at Best Buy.

I am not one who believes in the magical benefits of expensive Monster cables. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The cables the tech had were traditional "red white yellow" RCA cables.

I also had Acoustic Research component cables on hand.

If I understand Josh correctly, and Josh is correct, this would suggest to me that there is no reason one couldn't use (either for HD or a 480p DVD signal) three cheap "yellows" which can be had for a relative pittance.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The tech brought 2 meter component cables with him for both of my boxes. They looked to be of good quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.