AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I purchase a Motorola 5100 Tuner or must it be rented from our Cable Provider (Comcast in Northern, Il). We just want the HD reception and the option to turn on cable when ready. Does it have to be "linked" to the Cable provider to give you a HD picture?

·
Registered
754 Posts
The 5100 has no OTA capabilities and to my knowledge there is no cable company that sells them not to mention you'd be looking at quite a hefty price tag.

·
Registered
675 Posts
At the rental price ($5/month in most locations, AFAIK), there's no reason to purchase what probably would cost north of $600. OTOH, if you want to buy mine, perhaps I'd sell it to you :)

Claude

·
Registered
754 Posts
I dont know of anywhere you can buy one certainly not from Motorola and not from Comcast and most other cable companies.

I've heard of a few cable companies making your purchase an STB but the problem is you can only use it on there system so you're screwed if you move to another service provider.

Jeremy

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipm
No, the Motorola 5100 cannot be purchased. You must rent it from your local cable provider.
Not necessarily. In many Cox service areas, you must buy the 5100 from local retailers; Cox does not rent them.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TS45
Can I purchase a Motorola 5100 Tuner or must it be rented from our Cable Provider (Comcast in Northern, Il). We just want the HD reception and the option to turn on cable when ready. Does it have to be "linked" to the Cable provider to give you a HD picture?
For Comcast, you'll need to get the HD STB from them, and rental is the only option.

For installation, Comcast will insist on coming out to verify correct signal levels for HD operation.

In some Comcast areas they do not encode local DTV stations. With some current Mitsu or Hitachi HDTV's, you would be able to receive those channels without a cable STB.

Premium channels, like HBO & Showtime, will still require the STB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.