AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charter in St. Louis is going to be using the moto 5100 when they offer hi-def in the next couple of months. Does this box offer its own stretch mode for 4:3 sources? Our problem is that our new Hit 57XWX20b has terrible stretch modes--actually contemplating returning it to CC and getting the 53 in. Pioneer Elite. If the 5100 box has a good stretch solution, it might not be necessary. Anyone know if this is possible and, if it is, how good the stretch provision is?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I've been through that thread and I didn't see my specific question addressed. (Perhaps I missed it.) Does anyone know if the 5100box, itself, has stretch modes for 4:3 AR sources the way that some satellite STBs do?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've heard that the latest firmware upgrade to the 5100 does enable stretch modes on 4:3 aspect channels? Can 5100 users in Balto, D.C. confirm this fact?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
17 Posts
The current version of 5100 firmware does not provide a way for the set-top to perform a stretch on 4:3 video to fill a 16:9 television screen. However, most widescreen televisions offer some form of stretch or zoom to fill a 16:9 screen with 4:3 video. The 5100 will has an "auto detect" feature that will set the component video outputs to 480i whenever it is tuned to analog or SD content if you desire. From there, the widescreen TV can do its own stretch. Are you looking to have the set-top perform the stretch instead of the TV, and if so, why? Are you unhappy with your television's stretch modes? Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Bluefin 74,

Yes, I am looking for the 5100 to perform stretching/zooming of 4:3 channels. The line doubler on my HDTV does a bad job of upconverting and thus I would prefer to use the 1080i upconversion of the 5100. How well does the 5100 upconvert 480i to 1080i? I could of sworn, those who got the firmware upgrade on the 5100 could stretch/zoom standard 4:3 material in 1080i mode. Is this not accurate?

Thanks,

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.