AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have HD cable through Comcast in MA. My question is whether there is a way to prevent the Motorola 5100 cable box from scaling the content. I have an external scaler connected to a projector with a native resolution of 720p. When I originally setup the cable box, I set it up to output a 720p signal. The thing I found is the picture was MUCH better for 1080i content if I set the cable box to 1080i and let my scaler scale the image to 720p (the projector's native). I found the same issue when the cable box was set to 1080i and the content was 720p or 480p. In fact, this was even worse because the 5100 box took the 720p content, scaled it to 1080i, and then my projector scaled it back to 720p

What I want is to have the cable box bypass its scaler and output the signal as-is. Then, my external scaler can do its job.

Is this possible with the Motorola 5100?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quick Answer No,

Will this always be? hard to say I would imagine that there may eventually be a software upgrade to allow the box to pass channels in there native format, when and if this ever takes place is completely up to Motorola/Your Local MSO.

Jeremy

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, that's what I thought the answer would be. I was hoping maybe there was some hidden setting somewhere. I guess I will have to live with it for now.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I run my 5100 at 1080i for HD because I am under the impression that there is very little HD at 720P. It should minimize the double scaling problem you are talking about. I have the box send SD as 480i so that the Faroudja scaling/deinteracing built into my PJ handles that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Glenned,

ESPN-HD broadcasts in 720p. Supposedly it is better than 1080i for broadcasts with a lot of movement (i.e. sports). I think ABC also broadcasts in 720p, but I am not sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.