AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got an update to the 5100 last night, and it added a few options that I seriously hope are an indication of things to come in the next few [weeks/days/hours/minutes].

It added "PVR" and "HDD" options in the advanced menu, and on the regular menu, there is a "Timers" setting.

Of course it's all disabled, but now it makes me want to call my local Comcast and see if I can get a Motorola 6208.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That's encouraging. It appears Comcast is trying to add features to make cable more enticing than satellite, so competition is good. Let us know if you get any input as to the arrival of the 6208 with PVR. This month we've had PBS and INHD,INHD2 added, which gives a lot of commercial-free HD viewing.

Things are looking up.

Rich N.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. Haven't checked my firmware status in over a week and sure enough all those new goodies show up. We are both in the same Sacramento service region. I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get a PVR time-line.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremyfr
What is the software version # on your 5100?
Mine changed to: software 51.42-2002, firmware = 05.03

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
I think the timer function is just to change channels for VCRs, as it works with any channel, analog included.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
They are getting ready for the 6200 & 6208.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Yeah- they updated my firmware last night.

What would be the point of updating the 5100's firmware with PVR functions if they don't intend on adding a harddrive? Or do they?

I also noticed a new DVI entry.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
Yeah- they updated my firmware last night.

What would be the point of updating the 5100's firmware with PVR functions if they don't intend on adding a harddrive? Or do they?

I also noticed a new DVI entry.
5100's are that close to 6200 & 6208; they will all run on the same software, to at least some degree, I think.

Can you confirm DVI function?

·
Registered
505 Posts
There's an article for the Sacramento Bee (sacbee.com) this morning about Comcast offering DVRs. Unfortunately, I can't post the link (damn newbie).

"By the end of the year, Comcast Corp. will begin providing Sacramento, Roseville and Stockton customers with a cable box that includes a built-in DVR for $9.95 a month."

Unlike products from TiVo and ReplayTV, the Comcast box won't let users record two shows at once, but Comcast regional Vice President Ruth Blank said a dual-tuner model will be available early next year.

"Comcast officials think their new DVR box, made by Motorola, will be a compelling offering, allowing customers to record about 50 hours of programming."

"There's one area where Comcast may have an edge: Its box will record a high-definition television broadcast, though only about six to eight hours' worth because high-definition consumes about eight times more space on the hard disk than regular broadcasts."

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Good article, other than them saying Tivo and Replay can record two shows at once. Only DirecTivo does that. That's the first time I've seen pricing info given on it. $10 a month, I'm sold! I'll probably just record HD shows on it and everything else on my Replay. Now all I really want to know is if they will allow us to connect a firewire hard drive to it for extra storage, and enable the cable modem on it.

·
Registered
45,652 Posts
They're referring to the 6208.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Good price. The HD box alone rents for $5.00/mo., so the DVR only costs $4.95/mo. additional.

I understand in the not too distant future customers may be able to buy their boxes from select retailers, rather than rent. However unless the retail price was $400 or less, renting may prove the better choice. Especially considering how the technology changes so quickly.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Can anyone with the 51.42-2002 software and firmware 05.03 check to see if your DVI port is now working (if your 5100 has one)?

Someone in Boston (which is the only area other than Sacramento which apparently has these software/firmware versions) reported a working DVI port on a 5100. Assuming the report was correct, one would think those in Sacto with these versions on their 5100 would have active DVI ports.

This also makes sense because, based on the Sac Bee article, it looks like Sacto will be one of the first few Comcast areas to get the 6208, which is supposed to have an activated DVI.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
It seems that person got a one new OOTB and nobody else has that revision. Mine is 51.22, which they just updated last week.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Kudos to Comcast! I e-mailed the link in the Sac Bee article, and got a response back within two hours. The message said I'd be notified by e-mail or phone as soon as it was available.

SonomaSearcher,

I haven't gotten a DVI cable, so I can't verify if the port has been enabled or not. The menu screen does say "NOT INST" for the DVI port, so I assumed it wasn't enabled yet. I'm going to order a cable this weekend and try it anyways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.