AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in contact with Motorola about the issue with Mitsubishi DVHS decks not working properly. I told them about balazer's great PC utility that is working for me. Here is the response from Motorola:
Quote:
Hey Mike,

Good news! The issue is addressed and fixed in firmware version 7.14 which is scheduled to go out to cable operators by mid June. It wasn't the bit rate though. It was a handshake problem. Somehow when Mitsubishi's DVHS saw the DCT it didn't recognize it, but that has been fixed and tested in this next release.

One thing that won't work in this next release is the ability to hook up two devices to the IEEE1394 port. Even with an adapter, because the DCT won't address two devices through that port yet. So you'll have to watch your TV through a different connection like component or Dvi when you're recording through the IEEE1394 until that issue is addressed.

Larry

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
See? I told you it was a Firmware issue.;)

Quote:
One thing that won't work in this next release is the ability to hook up two devices to the IEEE1394 port. Even with an adapter, because the DCT won't address two devices through that port yet. So you'll have to watch your TV through a different connection like component or Dvi when you're recording through the IEEE1394 until that issue is addressed.
This problem exists now. Thorr, if you can could you forward some of these threads to the person you're in contact with at Motorola?

A specific problem with DTCP in the 6200 is that it shuts off output to all Firewire devices when a non-compliant DTCP device is on the chain. It should only block to the non-compliant hardware, not all of them.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Thorr,

Does this mean that my Mits DVHS VCR will work with the 6200 without a Mits TV in the chain? I now use my 1100U as a rewinder and playback unit for tapes recorded on my 40K.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
Good to see they are proactive about this issue.
I have been corresponding with an executive at the Comcast Denver labs for the past several weeks about the issues with Mits DVHS decks and the DCT6200; an email I received on 5/20/04 indicated that Comcast had requested that engineers at Mitsubishi & Motorola discuss the problem, and that Motorola had sent a DCT6200 to Mitsubishi for further testing. I am amazed that they apparently have not corrected the DCT6200's inability to playback recorded content over its IEEE1394 port since this was one of my biggest complaints about the unit, but at least it seems that now the tuner will be recognized by the Mits DVHS decks. I wonder if they added any sort of recording control capability?:confused:

----Rudy

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaveFi and Rudy- no problem. I will write him another mail and tell him about this thread and list the issues.

Rich- yep that's what it means! Now the only problem is, as Rudy pointed out, since the tapes will potentially have copy protection on them, there is no way to play them back without at DTCP compliant playback device/TV. It would be great if they could allow playback through the 6200/08. The only other option I can think of is using a JVC DVHS deck to play back the tapes, but then what's the point of having the Mits...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
thorr, thanks for following up on this issue.

Can't the Mits play back into the 30K/40K, where the 30K/40K component output is routed to the TV? That works today, even if the program is marked "Copy Once." My JVC deck is only for recording (it still has glitches), the Mits is used for all playback through the JVC.

Some day, if I get a 1394-ready TV or pj, then I would no longer need the JVC deck.

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
Yeah Rich, but the 6200 should be able to decode Firewire input if it was truly a DTCP compliant device. I'm pretty sure it can do it, it's just a matter of them implementing it.

It would solve a whole bunch of problems if they would activate it, mainly allowing all of us to buy cheaper DVHS decks, and could quite possibly spur the manufacture of other cheap storage devices (HD-DVD) with no component output. Now that they have DTCP going, copy protection shouldn't be a concern.

I really, really hope Microsoft decides to implement full Firewire/DVHS integration into their MSTV 1.7 front-end for the 6412 boxes. Timed recording, control and backups.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D_Doherty
Thanks for the update, too bad it sounds like only half of a solution.
DaveFi,

Are you telling us after the next code spin the DCT6200 will be recognized by the Mits D-VHS unit and will be able to record to the D-VHS, but we will not be able to play the recording back? What good is that?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rich- Yes, but I don't have a JVC. In your case, it should work fine.

FAiello- Yes that is the case with any DVHS deck right now. The advantage of the JVC is it has its own decoder so you can use the component outputs on the JVC. With the Mits there is no component output, but I can use the MyHD to playback the recording, but only until they activate DTCP.

"What good is that?" Half the battle is won. Now we just have to win the other half.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
I plan on using one of my OTA receivers for playback...that should work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does the JVC D-VHS that is mentioned in these posts output the signal it receives through firewire via its component video outs? Or does it only output what it has recorded via the component outs?

I have a Sony KD34BR2 that is not able to receive the 5C channels such as ESPN HD & HBOHD. If I had this JVC DVHS would this solve my problem? While I have been able to get a clear answer from Sony, I am thinking my TV isn't 5C compliant.

Is there any truth to the statement that at some point down the line we will not be able to receive HD channels such as HBO HD & ESPN HD via component? My TV does not have DVI only firewire & component.

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
Hrm. It should be DTCP compliant. Probably another firmware issue.

Do you have it hooked directly up to your TV? Anything else connected with Firewire?

Motorola really needs to test their stuff more extensively.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've read that the older Sony models did not properly support 5C, but I think I read that here on AVS so my info is probably no better than yours.

Yes, the JVC will output the signal it is receiving via firewire, even if not recording. I'm not sure what this solves though...why not just go component from 6200 to your TV (unless you're looking for a recording solution, that is). Some have also posted that the JVC component is lower quality than the 6200, but I haven't tested this myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have heard that at some point in the future the FCC may require the "downrezzing" of component outputs, if that were to happen and my TV does not have DVI or HDCP etc, what would I do then? My TV only has component or FireWire to receive HD signals (other than via the built in tuner for OTA). Is the JVC D-VHS a work around to this potential problem? If my TV really isn't 5C compliant, could I use the JVC D-VHS in the future to obtain channels such as HBOHD that are 5C and then output via the component outputs of the JVC and into my TV?

Comments?

You mentioned that the component on the JVC may be lower quality. Has anyone one tested this out there? Is there really a FireWire out on the JVC D-VHS too? Would that give the beter quality?

Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would be surprised if the FCC required downrezzing of component anytime in the near future. If they did, they would have a lot of angry consumers on their hands (including myself). I've been wrong before, though

If this is your concern, then yes, the JVC would solve/prevent your problem.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If this does happen, what makes you think the JVC's outputs would be HD when the cable box's output is down-rezzed??? The JVC has been shown to be capable of down-rezzing.

- Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.