AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
What ive read is only linux can read the drive and contents, and theres a 136 gig barrier to overcome....forget it boy's!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Not to mention you must remember that you do not own these units

Modifying them in any way could possibly fall under the same laws that govern hacking cable boxes.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Well james be more open and tell us how and what you did/use, pm me if you feel free.

120 gigs is hardly enough to use i have plenty of hard drives from 160-300 gig.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man
What ive read is only linux can read the drive and contents, and theres a 136 gig barrier to overcome....forget it boy's!!
That would be surprising since Motorola sells a 160GB version.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wolfe
That would be surprising since Motorola sells a 160GB version.
The 160 gig version isnt a 6412 it's a 6416 with newer firmware, i'm sure theres still a Barrier, isn't like you can slap a 300 gig drive in there and it's gunna recognize the size.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You can do that with every other unit that has upgradable drives. (i.e. Tivo/Replay) and the Sony uses 250GB drives. I don't think this is an issue at all. I think that the software just has some security mechanism in it to prevent any drive swap at all. A copy of the original partitions may be enough to get around that.

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I rented a 6412 from Comcast to record programming and then take the box in my motorhome to watch programming in areas of no reception. I think Comcast in their wisdom has defeated me. If the service cable is disconnected it will still work on recorded shows until the first time it is powered down then, unless the box is connected to the service cable I get the "service momentarily" message even if I just try to access the contents of the hard drive. Does anyone know of a way around this? Comcast says there is no way. I'm dissapointed. I only got the box for that reason. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
This was just discussed in another thread. Presumably, when the box powers on, it needs to determine whether you're authorized or not. Since it cannot get its feed, it cannot validate you, and therefore waits until it can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.