AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get my computer to download the drivers for my comcast dch3416 cablebox. It has worked on this laptop before. I had to redo my whole computer after my windows crashed. I am running vista 32 bit with SP2 installed. The only thing I can think of is if it is the service pack 2 that is causing it. Does SP2 block the drivers from working? It keeps saying windows can not find the drivers. Once it found the drivers but didnt install them properly. Also will there ever be vista 64 bit drivers or windows 7 drivers? Please help.

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/18263880

Be sure to plug into the correct firweire port on the back of the dvr as some say only one of the two works.

Huh? Where has this been reported?

As far as I know there is no such thing as "input" or "output" firewire ports, as any device can be "source" or "target" (assuming the device supports that function) in a firewire network for any particular send/receive situation.

Similarly, both ports on the DCH3416 are identical. The DCH is always the "source" when recording from it (to DVHS or PC), but if it's "in the middle" between two devices that are communicating in their own send/receive connection then the DCH is a "relay" and depending on which of the outboard devices is sending or receiving the corresponding connected port on the DCH will be input or output (in the relay).

The two firewire ports on the DCH are not labeled "input" or "output", for this very reason.

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings9130 /forum/post/18232113

I can't get my computer to download the drivers for my comcast dch3416 cablebox. It has worked on this laptop before. I had to redo my whole computer after my windows crashed. I am running vista 32 bit with SP2 installed.

Still puzzled.

I thought the drivers only worked with WinXP, not Vista.

Am I wrong here?

And if they do work with Vista (32), do they also work with Win7 (32)??? I didn't think either of these was supported (but may be wrong).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drivers work for Vista 32. Service pack 2 was messing it up so I redid my computer and the drivers work now. Are there any drivers for Windows 7 64 bit?

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings9130 /forum/post/18276332

The drivers work for Vista 32. Service pack 2 was messing it up so I redid my computer and the drivers work now.

Hmm... didn't know that. Of course I never used Vista so it's not really crucial to me, but it's interesting to know.

Quote:
Are there any drivers for Windows 7 64 bit?

Definitely not. That project seemed to get started, but never finished.

My solution to all of this is simply to retain a WinXP Pro 32-bit partition that I can still occasionally boot to if I need to, and which is my long-standing super-stable old environment in which I can run CapDVHS to record from my JVC DT100 DVHS VCR using the MEIDVHS driver, on the same machine where I installed Win7 Pro 64-bit on a second partition (and which is now my "production" environment for everything but CapDVHS).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts