AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm with Grande Communications in Austin TX and they have both the Motorola DCH6416 vs Scientific Atlanta 8300HD HD DVRs available. I was given the Motorola DVR during the install. I used to be with Time Warner and I'm used to the layout and guide of the Scientific Atlanta DVR and so far I don't really like the layout of the Motorola.

Are there any technical differences that would sway me to keep the Motorola or should I just go on personal preference?

I'm connected via HDMI to a Pioneer PDP-5080 720p plasma and I use the optical digital out for audio.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was really disappointed not to see any replies to this.

I have a choice between SA 8300HD (which I currently use) and the Motorola 6416. My Gripes with the SA are:

1. Does not know how to record "First Run" Episodes. Instead records everything all the time. I am aware that you can set it to record "at this time on this channel" but that still does not help much.

2. NO Episode name or info in the recording list. For example if you record Seinfeld it will give you a list of 50 episodes but there is no way to tell what each episode is. This one really kills me.

EDIT: Astound is my cable provider, they are using 1.88 version of SARA. I noticed that New Features - 1.89.x.x includes: Program description is now available with Info button while watching recorded program instead of only showing Playback channel. Note: Cableco option. So this may be more of an issue with Astound than the box..

Does anyone know if the Motorola box "fixes" these 2 issues.

Also is there any quality (PQ or otherwise) difference between the two boxes that I should be aware of. I am considering going from the SA to the Motorola.

Thanks for any information on this!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts