AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I got a new Toshiba 34HF85 direct view tube HDTV last week, along with a DCT6200 cable box from Comcast. I'm looking for help diagnosing whether a problem is with my cable box or the TV, and here's the problem.

Using the component outs from the cable box and component ins of the TV (haven't tried DVI-D of the box to HDMI of the TV yet), if I set the cable box to output at 1080i, and set the brightness of the TV between 45% and 85%, I get a bright purple hue for the top maybe 10% or so of the screen, biased toward the right, as in the picture at commsoft-dot-com-slash-Distortion-dot-jpg (new member so I can't post URLs).

This does not happen if I set the box to output at 720p and allow the TV to upconvert to 1080i for display. Likewise, it doesn't happen if I unplug the box and look at a blank screen from the component ins, and also doesn't happen if I view an NTSC picture from the coax input. However, it continues to happen if I leave the box plugged in to the TV but turned "off." (Maybe not really off but just sending an all-black signal?) It also happens on either set of component ins of the TV, but only on the set that is plugged in to the box, when the box is set to 1080i.

Since it doesn't happen when displaying a converted 720p signal at 1080i, I tend not to think it's the picture tube. So, assuming I'm correct there (and if I'm not, please let me know), is this more likely a problem with the inputs of the TV, or a noisy or otherwise corrupt signal out of the box? Any/all advice or input appreciated. I haven't tried it with the component outs of a DVD player because I don't own one, believe it or not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
What's behind the TV? It looks like something magnetic is distorting the picture. Try moving the TV.

If that's not it, ask the cable co for replacement of the 6200.

Also, CRT TVs sometimes need magnets paced by a service tech on the picture tube to eliminate color distortions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are speakers 3 or 4 feet behind it, but that seems like a long distance (?), and I would think that if that were the case, the distortion would be the same whether the input signal was 1080i or 720p, since either way the TV is actually displaying at 1080i...?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Maybe it would be easier to move the speakers temporarily? After that turn the TV off and then on so that the deguass circuit is activated.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't know what is causiong it but I do know that its not due to any nearby magnetic fields.

If it was then the distortion would be present all the time.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011
I don't know what is causiong it but I do know that its not due to any nearby magnetic fields.

If it was then the distortion would be present all the time.
Not true. I had a color distortion problem on a Samsung CRT TV and it only showed up in one corner when certain color patterns were in the picture. It was happening because of speaker being too close. Now I have LCD TV which is not subject to magnetic influence.

commsoft,

Let us know when you find what's causing the problem.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Not true. I had a color distortion problem on a Samsung CRT TV and it only showed up in one corner when certain color patterns were in the picture. It was happening because of speaker being too close.
It was only noticeable when certain color patterns were displayed, but it was always there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.