AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home yesterday and my Comcast DVR froze up on me. I had to unplug it to restart it and now it won't do anything except turn on. I have tried unplugging it multiple times. It brings the guide up and the guide shows everything properly, but I cannot change channels. When I hit my DVR button, it says "DVR Service Unavailable", so I cannot access any of my recordings.

I have called Comcast, but they were no help. They said they could send someone out, but it would be one week.

I have had comcast DVRs go out on me before and it was the hard drive, so for a while the playbacks would be choppy and the hard drive would make funny noises...I haven't experienced any of that this time.

My DVR model is a Motorola DCT6416 III. Does anyone know anything else I can try. In addition I have lots of things on my DVR, does anyone know a way I might be able to hook it up to my computer to transfer some of the files? I am pretty sure it has Firewire and USB hookups on it.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTownj /forum/post/14164644

I have had comcast DVRs go out on me before and it was the hard drive, so for a while the playbacks would be choppy and the hard drive would make funny noises...I haven't experienced any of that this time.

Could be some sort of software problem. Hard to say. Cross your fingers. Maybe someone messed up something on their headend servers and affected some of the deployed units - if you're lucky, they'll figure it out, fix it and not have to replace the DVR. Not saying that is for sure what it is, but a miskey wouldn't surprise me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTownj /forum/post/14164644

My DVR model is a Motorola DCT6416 III. Does anyone know anything else I can try. In addition I have lots of things on my DVR, does anyone know a way I might be able to hook it up to my computer to transfer some of the files? I am pretty sure it has Firewire and USB hookups on it.

The USB port on it (which is a type A/host interface) won't connect to a computer, and does nothing anyway. The FireWire port is only useful if you can completely start the unit and playback recordings - you can only capture streams from it, you can't use it like an IEEE1394 SBP2 hard disk. So unfortunately the recordings on the unit are stuck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts