AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this s the right place but I have a handheld motorola XPR 6550 radio through the volunteer fire department. Up until now it worked fine.

The problem that started today is when I press the transmit button on the radio, the subwoofer blows out hard core. It was shaking the house. I turned the gain down so it would stop, but I can still hear it popping when I turn the gain up a tiny bit and hit transmit. It happens on the other side of the house, the same as it happens right next to the sub. I'm afraid I may have even damaged the sub it was shaking so hard.

This weekend I moved my stereo system in my entertainment room. I installed a new tv and had to disconnect it all and move it closer to the new tv for the hdmi to reach.

Every power plug is still connected to the same power outlet, on the same surge protector. everything has shifted over about 4 ft, but otherwise everything is the same.

I tried using extension cords to separate the sub power and the receiver power onto totally different outlets, different surge protectors, different sub cables, etc. I even tried a different sub all together.

I now have no idea what is happening or what to try next. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
1. Did you just get the handheld, or have you had it a while and it just now started causing this problem?

2. If you unplug the signal cable from sub to AVR at the sub does it still react to the transmitter? If you tried a new sub and have the same issue, that points to the AVR. Or...

3. Have you tried replacing the cable from sub to AVR?

Thinking - Don

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I would start by replacing the sub cable. You should get a good video cable (like those used for component video interconnects) to ensure you have 100% shielding for RFI. If your sub has a 3 prong power connector, make sure you use a 3 wire power cord. If not, you may need to run a separate ground wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive had the radio for about 6 months and no issue. I have tried a new cable from the receiver to the sub, as well as a new sub. I tried a component video cable as well for the sub, and a high quality digital coax audio cable.

I just messed with it more and discovered that if I take the sub into another room, completely different electrical breakers, and just plug the power in and transmit the radio, it vibrates the sub. No AVR connection at all. I tried with both my subs, different sizes, different brands.

I'm at a loss, everything was working fine 2 days ago.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Have one of the other volunteers bring their radio by and see if it does the same. Have you switched to a different band on the radio? Or, try switching to a different band on the radio.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orellius /forum/post/19566695

Good idea, the one I'll probably get, his name is Randy too

And my Dad was a 40 year Los Angeles County fireman.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.