AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mitsubishi 1080p DLP, and I have the PS3 set at 1080p HDMI resolution. But when I play Motorstorm or Resistance the screen goes to 720p and the screen gets small with a black border around the image. But Blu-ray movies, GTHD, and Tekken HD are fine at 1080p, fullscreen and everything.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/0

Those games play at 720p. You need to adjust your TV accordingly so there's no black border around the screen. Set your TV for widescreen when in 720p.

Ok, but will there be any updates to upscale games to 1080p, like the XBOX 360's Fall Update did?

·
Registered
19,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha /forum/post/0

Ok, but will there be any updates to upscale games to 1080p, like the XBOX 360's Fall Update did?

No, you misunderstand. There's a difference between "upscalling" and rendering. Those games render and output @ 720p. If they rendered at 1080p they would be too slow to play.

It was a creative decisison by the software developer to run at 720p.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:

No, you misunderstand. There's a difference between "upscalling" and rendering. Those games render and output @ 720p. If they rendered at 1080p they would be too slow to play.

It was a creative decisison by the software developer to run a 720p.

But If they could be "upscaled" then I would'nt have the black boarder around the screen. I'm hoping for an upscaling update soon.

·
Registered
19,239 Posts

Quote:

But If they could be "upscaled" then I would'nt have the black boarder around the screen. I'm hoping for an upscaling update soon.

There will never be a "upscaling" update for videogames. They will output at whatever resolution is set by the manufacturer.

If your set can display 1080p properly, then it can surely handle 720p, you just need to adjust it accordingly.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:

There will never be a "upscaling" update for videogames. They will output at whatever resolution is set by the manufacturer.

If your set can display 1080p properly, then it can surely handle 720p, you just need to adjust it accordingly.

Umm...What are you talking about? That is what upscaling chips do, they upscale. For example, if you have a 1080P TV and an xbox 360, the Xbox 360 will upscale the game to 1080P. It does not look as good as a native 1080P game but it does look a bit better than 720P. Even if you set the game's resolution to 720P, a 1080P TV will upscale the signal to 1080P. However, the Xbox 360 tends to do a better job than most TV scalers.

As much as I want to believe it, I don't think Sony can release a patch for this. The PS3 does seem to have a scaler in the GPU but it appears to be disabled. They may need to release an update model to enable it. Don't quote me on this though.

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
I was making a point that this was a creative decision on the PS3 by the manufacturer to run at 720p/1080p, that is all. I have no idea about the 360 as I've never used one.

Why anyone would want to upscale a computer game is beyond me. Would anyone even bother consider doing this on a PC? No. They would make sure they had enough horsepower, be it videocard w/GPU, CPU, and just run the game at a higher resolution or at a lower one with more features (ie: AA, etc). Upscaling is a half-assed way about it.

I hope the PS3 doesn't adopt this route so the developers would concentrate more on getting the games looking a running at their best in native resolutions.

Once again, if you have a 1080p monitor you should get 720p up and running properly, because there there will be many 720p native games on the PS3.

·
Registered
861 Posts
DaveFi: Even if you think it's half assed, it does look better than the native resolution. Can't argue with results.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii /forum/post/0

As much as I want to believe it, I don't think Sony can release a patch for this. The PS3 does seem to have a scaler in the GPU but it appears to be disabled. They may need to release an update model to enable it. Don't quote me on this though.

I hope Sony can release a patch that will enable scaling.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Im guessing the PS3 doesn't scale all that well, or they would have had it enabled in the beginning.

Quote:
I was making a point that this was a creative decision on the PS3 by the manufacturer to run at 720p/1080p, that is all. I have no idea about the 360 as I've never used one.

Why anyone would want to upscale a computer game is beyond me. Would anyone even bother consider doing this on a PC? No. They would make sure they had enough horsepower, be it videocard w/GPU, CPU, and just run the game at a higher resolution or at a lower one with more features (ie: AA, etc). Upscaling is a half-assed way about it.

I hope the PS3 doesn't adopt this route so the developers would concentrate more on getting the games looking a running at their best in native resolutions.

Once again, if you have a 1080p monitor you should get 720p up and running properly, because there there will be many 720p native games on the PS3.

Pc games aren't usually meant to display in one resolution though, like a console game is. The only reason you would want you console doing the scalng of a lower res to a higher one, is so your tv doesn't have to, and you're running your game at the tvs native res. Proably not a great idea to buy a 1080p tv for gaming just yet, as I don't see anything displayed at that unless it's somewhat simple(tekken DR).

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:

I have a Mitsubishi 1080p DLP, and I have the PS3 set at 1080p HDMI resolution. But when I play Motorstorm or Resistance the screen goes to 720p and the screen gets small with a black border around the image. But Blu-ray movies, GTHD, and Tekken HD are fine at 1080p, fullscreen and everything.

That sounds kind of strange. Sony was showing the old Motorstorm demo at CES on 1080p sets and it looked fine. Can you take a pic for reference?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:

Umm...What are you talking about? That is what upscaling chips do, they upscale. For example, if you have a 1080P TV and an xbox 360, the Xbox 360 will upscale the game to 1080P. It does not look as good as a native 1080P game but it does look a bit better than 720P. Even if you set the game's resolution to 720P, a 1080P TV will upscale the signal to 1080P. However, the Xbox 360 tends to do a better job than most TV scalers.

Upsacling is not always a good thing, what if the games were made in low resolution, then upsacled to 1080p? That is not true 1080p then! The PS3 games on the other hand are coded based on Resolution Requirments. For example GTHD is scaled trough "SOFTWARE" from 480p, 720p, 1080i and p. However you have to adjust them, so set your TV to ZOOM or fill, and stop complaining already!

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY /forum/post/0

Upsacling is not always a good thing, what if the games were made in low resolution, then upsacled to 1080p? That is not true 1080p then! The PS3 games on the other hand are coded based on Resolution Requirments. For example GTHD is scaled trough "SOFTWARE" from 480p, 720p, 1080i and p. However you have to adjust them, so set your TV to ZOOM or fill, and stop complaining already!

From what I have seen, every single 720P games looks better at 1080P. Btw, have you played an Xbox 360 @ 1080P? If not, then you really shouldn't be saying the quality is not good.

Just to let you know, 1080P games are a double edged sword. The extra power required could be used for AA on a 720P game which would most likely look better than 1080P games. Also, where exactly am I complaining about something?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:

From what I have seen, every single 720P games looks better at 1080P. Btw, have you played an Xbox 360 @ 1080P? If not, then you really shouldn't be saying the quality is not good.

Just to let you know, 1080P games are a double edged sword. The extra power required could be used for AA on a 720P game which would most likely look better than 1080P games. Also, where exactly am I complaining about something?

Indeed, and don't worry about it. Nothing personal man!

IMO i question the ability of using a scaler chip in XBOX! However, GOW looks very good.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY /forum/post/0

Indeed, and don't worry about it. Nothing personal man!

IMO i question the ability of using a scaler chip in XBOX! However, GOW looks very good.

What? I don't understand what you're saying...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
I have a Mitsubishi 1080p DLP, and I have the PS3 set at 1080p HDMI resolution. But when I play Motorstorm or Resistance the screen goes to 720p and the screen gets small with a black border around the image

I have a Mitsubishi 1080p DLP and a PS3. The motorstorm demo and Resistence are showing in full screen, no borders ...Not sure why yours isnt.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Why would anyone not want a updatable scaler chip inside the system? One can only imagine that scaling algorithms get better over time, which means it will probably do a better job of scaling to 1080p than your TV set either now or sometime in the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.