AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Man I'm so excited to get this game and get some new tracks and vehicles. Kind of a neat idea to make an alliance with 1 or 2 online racers and intentionally target other drivers (although somewhat unfair, it would be fun..
). The online play will also add a whole new realm of competition to the game

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
Thanks for the link , sounds great

I wonder if they will offer downloadable content (tracks/vehicles) down the road ?

----- Jason

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Column /forum/post/0

This is going to be the greatest arcade racer ever!

Sega Rally is coming!

I REALLY do not like the sound of this:

Quote:
but MotorStorm's multiplayer game promises to succeed because anyone can compete in any race and still be in with a chance of taking the chequered flag, and that's definitely a good thing in our book.

How is losing to some guy who is not as good at the game as you a "good thing"?

For that matter how is beating someone who is a lot better than you a "good thing"? The best part of online racing is getting better and moving up the ranks, beating people you could not without learning the tracks and cars better.

(I imagine "catch up mode" will be used by too many games)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone /forum/post/0

Sega Rally is coming!

I REALLY do not like the sound of this:

How is losing to some guy who is not as good at the game as you a "good thing"?

For that matter how is beating someone who is a lot better than you a "good thing"? The best part of online racing is getting better and moving up the ranks, beating people you could not without learning the tracks and cars better.

(I imagine "catch up mode" will be used by too many games)

I agree about the catchup mode. Since it can be disabled, I'm hoping it is not used in most games.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/0

well, you could always start your own game online with that feature not enabled, yes...?

Given the limited number of people with a PS3, the more limited number using it for games and not BR, the further limitited number with it online and the still further limited number with Motor Storm and then finally down to the ones actually playing online any limitation like a catch up mode sucks. It will limit the already limited pool of racers.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankJ.Cone

Given the limited number of people with a PS3, the more limited number using it for games and not BR, the further limitited number with it online and the still further limited number with Motor Storm and then finally down to the ones actually playing online any limitation like a catch up mode sucks. It will limit the already limited pool of racers.

Catch-up mode explained by IGN;
Quote:
Last but not least, the other important pre-race option worth mentioning is catch-up. Without it switched on, every race really is a battle of skill, with more experienced drivers pulling away from novices with ease. While that's all well and good if you're a decent player who fancies a bit of an ego massage, it doesn't make for a particularly exciting race. Enable catch-up and players who are trailing are given a helping hand as their boost bar fills slowly and drains quicker, enabling them to use it more often and, ultimately, to drive faster. Of course, push the turbo too hard and your engine will explode, meaning the race leader edges out in front even further.

Sounds like a good option to me. Its not like the beginner player is going to automatically be put to the front of the pack. There just going to get extra boost, and more than likely if they are still crashing, the extra boost won't help much.

Also if you go to the leader board in Full Auto 2, you will notice that there are a bunch of players who only played online a couple of times. Probably because they got discouraged after being killed 20 times in arena mode or finishing a minute behind in race mode. If anything, the "catch-up" option will increase the popularity of online play.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboJosh /forum/post/0

This game isn't supposed to be a simulation like Gran Turismo. The whole point to the game is that there is a large pack of cars cramped together in a pack as they go around the track smashing the hell out of each other.

True. Though when I suggested Motorstorm is more if an action game (crashing about, knocking other cars out of the way being a big part of the game) with cars VS a racing game (Similiar to Burnout's "racing' modes) several folks here too serious offense at the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone /forum/post/0

Catch-up mode explained by IGN;

Sounds like a good option to me. Its not like the beginner player is going to automatically be put to the front of the pack. There just going to get extra boost, and more than likely if they are still crashing, the extra boost won't help much.

Also if you go to the leader board in Full Auto 2, you will notice that there are a bunch of players who only played online a couple of times. Probably because they got discouraged after being killed 20 times in arena mode or finishing a minute behind in race mode. If anything, the "catch-up" option will increase the popularity of online play.

It doesn't sound any different than when I used to play Tekken with friends who didn't play very often, and I'd give them 130% health and I'd go with 80% health. It makes the game more even, and more fun. What's fun about beating a noob 34 times in a row? I think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Why would losing to a better opponent bother you? Even if its most of the time? If I ran the race as best I could I would be satisfied. If I ran the race better than I did the last time I would be pretty darn happy, win or lose.

I played R:FoM last night. I was killed more often than I managed to kill opponents but it did not make me not want to play again. And this is knowing full well that it will be quite a bit of time practicing before I can swing the kill count in my favor much less actually win the round.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:

i doubt it, even at crazy hours I play Resistance, there are at least few hundred people playing at the same time, in servers that Insomniac shows to me.

Not to mention 0 lag, despite me being in Eastern europe :).

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted FrankJ.Cone

Why would losing to a better opponent bother you? Even if its most of the time? If I ran the race as best I could I would be satisfied. If I ran the race better than I did the last time I would be pretty darn happy, win or lose.

It doesn't bother me, but go to the Full Auto 2 leader board and you will see that many players just go to frustrated and never bothered playing more than a couple time....

And it ruins the experience for everyone, because often I need to wait for a match to start up. The online experience is better for everybody when more people are online playing.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:

I played R:FoM last night. I was killed more often than I managed to kill opponents but it did not make me not want to play again. And this is knowing full well that it will be quite a bit of time practicing before I can swing the kill count in my favor much less actually win the round.

It's not just a benefit for the less skilled drivers. I've gotten to the point with the Motorstorm demo where I can come in first every time without any problem. I usually race the last two laps with no other cars anywhere near me. It's still fun, but it's more fun when there is a chance of a car landing on top of me, or someone riding up on my rear and trying to get away before they spin me off the mountain. Sure, I can continue to try and beat my best time, but if I wanted to simply do that, I could play a racing game where blowing up isn't half the fun.

You always have the option of hosting races where the feature is turned off if you want a level playing field. In my Tekken example, I've already stated that, for me, beating someone 35-50 times in a row gets boring. If I can prolong the bouts by giving the other player a handicap, then that's what I'll do. I don't see why it should be any different in a racing game.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.