AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was playing Motorstorm for near 2 weeks by now, I've done all the rank 1-7 races in the festival mode and I have only 10 rank 8 races to gold. I've done a lot of perfect runs on different tracks and I'm only finishing 4th-5th. I think that this game is insane and any tips will be great. I really want that platinum. Thanks and sorry for any language mistakes!

· Registered
2,159 Posts
I am only bout rank 6 and its pretty tough. I dont have all gold either...

· Registered
5,639 Posts
I would suggest that you learn each track really well by doing the time trials. There are specific paths that you take for specific vehicles.

Also, you need to remember that because this game has rubber band AI, if you boost, the AI will boost as well to keep up with you. Keep at it and you'll get it.

Getting the platinum in this game is not easy especially when you go online to complete those requirements. Good luck and I hope you have a lot of patience. Wasn't easy when dogdoctor and I did it.

· Registered
3,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by istrategie /forum/post/16856170

I've made a little progress. I have gold on all air zone races. I still need the Sugar Rush Eliminator in Earth Zone, 2 races in Water Zone and all 3 races in Fire Zone. I hope to finish it tomorrow.

For the Rush...you need to absolutely master the track. You need to take the shortcuts perfect and you need to know where to boost accordingly. IIRC you should come in about 2nd or 3rd on the first lap and then pass them before or during the first shortcut. Then it's all about skill and timed boosting. That race was a total nightmare for many of us. Do yourself a favor and run the time trials for the Rush (mudpluggger right?)

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finished the festival yesterday. I'm on the time attack now. I finished the trials for the first map and it's pretty hard. The first place ghosts helped a lot. Hopefully I'll finish the time attack mode in 2 days.

· Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/16866280

For the Rush...you need to absolutely master the track. You need to take the shortcuts perfect and you need to know where to boost accordingly. IIRC you should come in about 2nd or 3rd on the first lap and then pass them before or during the first shortcut. Then it's all about skill and timed boosting. That race was a total nightmare for many of us. Do yourself a favor and run the time trials for the Rush (mudpluggger right?)

That was definitely a difficult race! I finally completed it last night. I wasn't even getting close until I figured out a decent boost pattern and nailed the shortcut each time. I may have lucked out as I was in close second after exiting the buildings going into the sugar cane field when the leader got hung up in the tall plants. Glad that one is over.

I need the last level 8 in each zone then I'm hitting the online circuits!

This game gets challenging and much more fun at the level 7 and 8 races!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I need really good advice for the ranked streak trophy. The game gives me only races against ranks 4 and 5 and those guys are really fast. I have gold on every festival race and I've beat all developers ghosts. What should I do? I know that when you get to higher ranks, it's very hard, so I want it when I'm still level 1 or 2.

· Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by istrategie /forum/post/16912777

Now I need really good advice for the ranked streak trophy. The game gives me only races against ranks 4 and 5 and those guys are really fast. I have gold on every festival race and I've beat all developers ghosts. What should I do? I know that when you get to higher ranks, it's very hard, so I want it when I'm still level 1 or 2.

I am in the same boat as you. It seems like every ranked room I get matched up with is filled mostly with 4's and 5's. I took 2nd once and 3rd a few times, but mostly I am finishing right in the middle. I have advanced to a gold rookie, but it has taken more time than I expected.

I don't know if there is any way to control who you are matched with. I tried using the "best quality" matching option but it always comes up empty. I think it is hit or miss. I have tried the servers in other countries and get the same mix.

How are you doing with the casual trophy? I have been able complete 12 casual races, but most of the time I can't find any...

· Registered
4,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMarg /forum/post/16914419

I am in the same boat as you. It seems like every ranked room I get matched up with is filled mostly with 4's and 5's. I took 2nd once and 3rd a few times, but mostly I am finishing right in the middle. I have advanced to a gold rookie, but it has taken more time than I expected.

I don't know if there is any way to control who you are matched with. I tried using the "best quality" matching option but it always comes up empty. I think it is hit or miss. I have tried the servers in other countries and get the same mix.

How are you doing with the casual trophy? I have been able complete 12 casual races, but most of the time I can't find any...

i really need to start playing this... i got it for my bday in Dec. and it's still in the wrap. but what you're describing is a huge reason why i hate the concept of online trophies.

· Registered
3,660 Posts

Quote:

Here is the best 3 pieces of advice I can give you.

1. Exchange PSN ids with other current AVS users. You be sure to party up and enter the room together. Note the leader of the party is the person whose rank matters when finding rooms of people of same caliber. So don't have a high ranking friend start the party. Next, race. Whomever wins the first race of the group is the next objective. For the next two races then it is up to the winner to be sure to run a clean and fast race, and it's the remainder of the groups job is to slow down the competition.
(it's not like you haven't run into blockers, smashers before
) Once completed repeat for the next guy. (if you can get a large group of friends to play, it makes it much easier) Alternatively, the longer you play the more chances you will have to get it on your own. I think my top streak was 4 or 5. But see the trouble is that you guys are now playing against some very, very good veterans. It was hard to get a win in MS1 6 months after the game came out too.

2. Also, play at off hours. I found that since I'm on pacific time that at 1am PST/4amEST the ranked room competition is very different. Small rooms, varied competition. So moral of the story...try to find times that the rooms seem to suit your needs.

3. As for casual races...we could never find anyone racing either. FYI you need a minimum of three to start your own causal room. So again, get your PSN MS: PR buddies together at a mutual meeting time and just have some fun races. You don't need to win, to just beat the crap out of each other. Maybe use it as a way to meet people to arrange to attempt point 1.

· Registered
309 Posts

Quote:

Race during off hours (late at night or early morning), as suggested below. Also run with someone that's at the same or lower rank. It will decrease your chances of getting into a room full of legends.

It's pretty key to build your 3 in a row rank before you reach legend. Winning 3 in a row with a room full of Legend Gold's is very hard. If you continue to rank up without getting it, I'd either practice in custom rooms, or create another account to run ranked rooms until you are proficient in your skills.

The fastest vehicle doesn't always win in Ranked. A lot of the time it's about picking something heavy, protecting yourself, and not wrecking.

You can also get (I believe up to 12) buddies together and run ranked as a group. It's a lot easier with a room full of friends.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To get 11 friends in Motorstorm at the same time is very hard. I don't even have too many friends that have the game. I'll try to run at off hours. In what region do you suggest to race? I live in Europe, but the guys out there are all rank 5. It's easier on US or Japan?

· Registered
501 Posts
mat, this is a very fun game. The offline is intense in the higher races, although it takes a long time to get there (at least it did for me...). I agree, any online trophies are a pain, especially when you can't even find an active room for what you need! Bad move on dev's part.

dog, shorty, and mgm, thanks for the great tips! From what you are saying it sounds like the game attempts to match you up with similarly ranked competitors. It just seems like I keep getting tossed into a room full of 4's and 5's (btw, why are gold legends still doing ranked racing? Move on to something else already!
) It must be the time of day. The only time I can log in is after 10 ET, which is probably when it is the busiest.

I did happen to be at home this afternoon and was able to find some casual rooms and some ranked rooms that weren't full of legends (never came in first, though
). It seems like the race is either lost or won in the first 15seconds when everyone pulls off the line. This is when I usually get punched or rammed off the track and then it is all over for the rest of the race.

istrategie, I sent you a friends request, so maybe we can try to run some races together sometime.

I'll keep trying, but this game is quickly turning from very fun to very frustrating....

· Registered
1,483 Posts
i have yet to play a ranked game with new maps

· Registered
5,639 Posts
Even if you have 11 friends on MS:pR, you can only have up to 4 in a single party.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, Jeff, I'll add you. We can play on monday, becouse during weekend I'll be gone. The problem is that my time zone is GMT+2. Maybe you should play from an account with level 1 and start a party. We should try this.

I played some races yesterday, I won 2 in a raw but I failed the third because of too many monster trucks. Uh, and the last race was on my favorite map, Raingod Spires.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.