AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a new metal console to replace a wooden one. Used to have the speakers on the console, which I know isn't ideal but was passable before. Given this one is thin metal (and rattles), I'm thinking I don't want to do that now. Thinking about mounting all the speakers on the wall. For the center, I am thinking about moving the TV down about 5 inches and placing it above. Or, I could just leave the TV there. As it is, the TV is a smidge high for my tastes so I hesitate to move it up higher to put the center below it. But maybe.

My concern is, would the speaker above the TV be too far given that it handles the dialogue? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
232 Posts
We just got a new metal console to replace a wooden one. Used to have the speakers on the console, which I know isn't ideal but was passable before. Given this one is thin metal (and rattles), I'm thinking I don't want to do that now. Thinking about mounting all the speakers on the wall. For the center, I am thinking about moving the TV down about 5 inches and placing it above. Or, I could just leave the TV there. As it is, the TV is a smidge high for my tastes so I hesitate to move it up higher to put the center below it. But maybe.

My concern is, would the speaker above the TV be too far given that it handles the dialogue? Any other suggestions?

View attachment 3142255
Mine is above the tv. No issues.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine too. Not an issue at all, as long as you try and angle it down a bit, towards the main listening position. Good luck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. As it is, the dialogue has always been a bit muffled (probably because it sat toward the back of the old console). Hoping that wall mounting will be an improvement.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You need foam under those speakers. I would try to cut your own isolation pads, full size ones will be overkill, but you can probably slice one up to fit all 3 possibly. They won't rattle on the metal and the muffling will be cut down. I don't think putting them over your TV will make any difference, they look a bit small for my tastes, so if you aren't getting the impact you want, I think you might just need an upgrade. Speaker under the TV is always preferred.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I would address the rattles. If it rattles with the speakers on it, it may rattle with them on the wall, especially if you have a sub.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree that the best option is to address the rattling with foam, rubber feet, or whatever.

The issue with putting the speaker above the TV is that (based on what I can tell), your TV sticks out farther from the wall up top. Ideally you would want the speaker baffle in front of the screen, so that sounds are not hitting the back of the television. This would require a bracket that allows to you have the speaker far off the wall. It should be doable, but just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that the best option is to address the rattling with foam, rubber feet, or whatever.

The issue with putting the speaker above the TV is that (based on what I can tell), your TV sticks out farther from the wall up top. Ideally you would want the speaker baffle in front of the screen, so that sounds are not hitting the back of the television. This would require a bracket that allows to you have the speaker far off the wall. It should be doable, but just something to keep in mind.
Thanks. The center speaker depth is more than the distance of the tv from the wall, I I don’t imagine that bouncing off the tv will be an issue. On the other hand, isn’t the sound bouncing on the top of the console an issue?

·
Registered
Yamaha RX-V373 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
426 Posts
Mine is below the TV.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

View attachment 3142255
I'd leave them below like you have photographed, but pull each speaker forward so that the speakers are flush with the face of the cabinet. You're going to get a lot of reflections off of the top of the cabinet pulled that far back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks. The center speaker depth is more than the distance of the tv from the wall, I I don’t imagine that bouncing off the tv will be an issue. On the other hand, isn’t the sound bouncing on the top of the console an issue?
It could bounce off the top of your console as well, so you should pull it forward so that it overhangs by about an inch.

·
Registered
379 Posts

dampen the media stand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts