AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... I am thinking about getting a Panny300 soon and am trying to figure out where/how to mount it. It is going to be in the main living room, which means it will be right smack in the middle of the room (approx. 25' X 25' room).

Questions for ceiling mounts:

Have any of you had this dilema, and what did you do? To power it, did you just run the power cord with an extension cord to the attic?

What about cabling for the component systems? Did you just run the cables from the projector to the attic, and then down the walls to about where the components are and go through the wall? Whats the max cabling distance before attenuation or signal noise/loss?

What about ceilng fans? The placement of the ceiling mounted projector would put it pretty close to a ceiling fan. I am a bit worried about additional dust being attracted to the ceilng fan and the projector being so close.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I could put the projector on a stand with the video components instead of a ceiling mount, but it would really be in the way.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help with this little dilemna. I am looking forward to hearing your experiences.

· Registered
1,936 Posts
I am bumping this one, because I too am in the same situation and would love some answers. Thanks.

· Registered
587 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you guys. As far as the ceiling fan is concerned, I may just remove the blades if it interferes with the picture. I will run my cables between the floor Joyce's in my ceiling and I plan to store the projector between the Joyce's when not in use, their will be a panel that will then slide in place to cover the hole. When I want to use the proj. I slide the panel to the side, release a latch, lower the projector down about 3 ft. it will be supported by cables. When I get this down, I will post pictures.

~ Jay

· Registered
274 Posts
Here is a photo of my HS10 mounted in the middle of the room about the same size as yours. I ran the cables through the ceiling, down the wall and up through the floor. I went with a dedicated outlet and used a Monster surge protector for it's small size.

I have to point it out to people who do not even notice it when they enter the room. My dining-room and kitchen are behind me in the picture taken from a ladder behind the unit.

Michael

Ceiling Mount in middle of room

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting pics Labguy, looks good...Jay, your setup sounds interesting as well, cant wait for pictures!

I guess I will just run the cables along the attic and down through the walls for components like you guys did. The only thing I havent heard much about is the Ceiling fan. If a ceiling fan causes some kind of electrical interference of some kind, or causes dust blolbs to appear, then I might be screwed.

Anyone have a ceiling fan located close to the projector? Anyone?

Thanks

· Registered
274 Posts
I would not have the ceiling fan located next to the projector for aesthetic and dust issues. If you can relocate the ceiling fan you can then use the existing power source for your projector running a junction box from the old fan location.

Just my opinion,

Michael

· Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
I plan to store the projector between the Joyce's when not in use, their will be a panel that will then slide in place to cover the hole.
Jw_Wood,

Just be aware that there is a lot of dust in the attic space and be sure to have some kind of sealed enclosure to protect your projector. Otherwise, you will end up with dust blobs everywhere in your dark scenes.

I originally set out to do the same thing and realized while climbing up there the amount of insulation and dust would make it prohibitive. Had I purchased a large CRT I would have had no choice, but the small Digital projector is hardly a problem even to my wife who was VERY skeptical.

Michael

· Registered
587 Posts
Michael,

Your point about the dust blobs are something I have thought of. This will be mounted in my basement so their is no insulation between the ceiling and the main floor, and the space I'm dealing with has a hight of 12". The floor joyce's are 2x12. I am thinking of some type of enclosure, I first thought of just stapling a material up but I may try something else. rest assured, this will be as dust free an environment as possible. Maybe even more so then just leaving it out in the open.

~ Jay

· Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
what is the height of your screen from the floor? It seems certainly higher than recommended and if so, do you find it bothersome at all. I would love to be able to mount my PJ that close to the ceiling. Also, what size is that screen?
Here are my dimensions:

Ceiling 96"

Top of viewing screen from ceiling 8"

Bottom of viewing screen from floor 36"

Distance from Ceiling to bottom of Projector 10"

Distance from the top of my head seated to projector overhead 40"

Distance to 92X52 Da-Lite Model B High-Power screen from projector 14'6"

My wife and I have no problems with the viewing angle to the screen, in fact I could not imagine it being any lower than it is. My wife is going in for disk surgery in her neck this summer for an injury she has been suffering from for several years and this viewing angle is no problem for her. That should be a pretty good indication as to the view-ability of the screen height.

My keystone adjustment is very minimal and could be eliminated with just 1/4 of an inch adjustment lower with the projector.

Michael

· Registered
274 Posts
Right now I am sitting directly below the projector. The noise does not bother me at all, however, if you sit in front of the projector it is more noticeable on quite scenes.

The fan noise has never been a problem with my unit.

Michael

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I did some measurements and it looks like the unit would be mounted 3 feet away from the end of the closest fan blade.

You think that would be far enough away? It is a brand new house and I just installed the ceiling fan which provides light for the room. I really do not want to (re)move it. Ya, it is going to look a bit out of place mounted close to the ceiling fan, but I am a single bachleor, not a fashion designer. :)

So is 3 feet enough room if I keep the blades clean? What do you all think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.