AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to see a few blurays that have stuttering problems while playing and it is driving me crazy.

Here is my setup:

I have an i5 based HTPC as my main unit with a single 2TB drive on it connected via GB ethernet to my network. I have an AMD X4 635 windows based NAS with 2x2TB drives in it. I keep all my blurays on the NAS and use MediaBrowser to list, view, and play my blurays via virtual clonedrive and TMT3. For the most part this works just fine. Every now and again I get a small stutter but I chalk this up to network latency. I have one bluray that will stutter all the time, everytime; the Justin Timberlake Madison Square Garden concert. I also just started seeing the same behavior on the new Expendables bluray.

So I thought it may be a NAS to HTPC transfer problem over the network. So I decided to try the new Windows Home Server based on Server 2008/Windows 7. This had no impact...same problems. Before I did this, I bought a number of external drives and backed up all my movies. So I then tested playing these movies from the external USB2 hard drives. Same problems. I have yet to copy the file to the local HD and try that. I will this weekend.

I could try re-ripping but want to make sure it isn't something in my system first. When it does happen, the video freezes and the audio keeps playing. Have any of you seen this sort of skipping/stuttering?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have an AMD 245 for my HTPC and an i7920 for my server. I sometimes get a stuttering issue as well and the only way for me to get rid of it was to exit out of the player and restart it. It seems to only occur for me if I'm ripping blurays while watching a movie over the network. Since the drives are 5400 and it's reading and writing to the same disc I wonder if the hard drive's bandwith is becoming saturated. Anyway I would probably try re-ripping the movie or you could transfer the whole movie to your HTPC and play it off there. If you have a GB ethernet then you should be fine but you never know.

·
Registered
377 Posts
definitely try playing the file back from a local hard drive, to rule out your network or not. If it still skips, then its your PC/video/etc.

fwiw, I had a bunch of BD iso's on a WD 1.5TB EARS drive, and it would skip during playback constantly. Turns out it was the bad/misaligned format I did on it in WinXP, the 'R' in the name means it uses WD's new format, and you need to format it correctly to align the sectors using their util (WDAlign) to get full performance, otherwise it would read at 18MB-80MB-18MB... every few seconds. I think if you format the 'R' drives in Win7 it aligns it automatically.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 /forum/post/19580991

I have an AMD 245 for my HTPC and an i7920 for my server. I sometimes get a stuttering issue as well and the only way for me to get rid of it was to exit out of the player and restart it. It seems to only occur for me if I'm ripping blurays while watching a movie over the network. Since the drives are 5400 and it's reading and writing to the same disc I wonder if the hard drive's bandwith is becoming saturated. Anyway I would probably try re-ripping the movie or you could transfer the whole movie to your HTPC and play it off there. If you have a GB ethernet then you should be fine but you never know.

I have 7200 drives so I don't think that would be the problem. I also agree, the network should have plenty of bandwidth to transfer and the fact that I get the same stuttering across the network and on the external usb drive leads me to believe it is the ISO rip. Once I move it to the local drive that would probably give me a definite answer.

I've just never seen an ISO rip have problems like this...it either works or it doesn't.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovision /forum/post/19581260

definitely try playing the file back from a local hard drive, to rule out your network or not. If it still skips, then its your PC/video/etc.

fwiw, I had a bunch of BD iso's on a WD 1.5TB EARS drive, and it would skip during playback constantly. Turns out it was the bad/misaligned format I did on it in WinXP, the 'R' in the name means it uses WD's new format, and you need to format it correctly to align the sectors using their util (WDAlign) to get full performance, otherwise it would read at 18MB-80MB-18MB... every few seconds. I think if you format the 'R' drives in Win7 it aligns it automatically.

Interesting...I have 2x2TB hitachi 7200 RPM drives. I have never heard that before but it sounds like something I need to check out. The external drives I have are WD Elitebooks. Everything has always been attached to Windows 7. Maybe the external drives have the same problem? I'll check that too after I copy it local.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.