AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think the reason is the simplicity of table stand vs wall mount. Wall mount is a major commitment that you won't want to put the plasma anywhere else in your house or apartment. Like till death do we part!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My "other" vote is for - sitting on a cabinet base with home made brackets attached to the rear of the unit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine is on the wall... although I've seen alot on stands (and a couple inside armoires and the like)... I definately like them best on the wall.

The trick for me is trying to add one to my bedroom. After having considered all the options I seem to be down to a lift (not from the ceiling) but possibly from a chest at the base of my bed... and a mount on a wall with an extending arm (so I can center it to watch it).

Anyway, can't decide. But for now, I'm a wall man.

Seems like there are a couple of things missing from the servey though... a wall mount with an extension arm, and a lift either dropping down or lifting up.

BigRed

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I have the 433cmx and just used the feet that came with it and put it on a table I had made for my old Sony 32 wega.I wanted the Plasma a little above eye level and close enough to give a theater feel and thats exactly what I got.Wall mounts look great but I feel table mounts provide more immersion in the picture.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update.

Wall Mounted. 26.67%

Table Stand. 68.89% I didn't expect to see so many members having there Plasma displays on Table Stands.

Other... 4.44%

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was wondering did anyone mount their plasma on the ceiling like that Philips TV commercial so you can be lying flat in bed to watch it!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Wall mount is the way to go if you are earthquake country as in California.

You would not believe how a standard TV with a much broader footprint, lower center of gravity can hop around, and IMO the plasma units with the higher center of gravity are too likely to fall over unless securely mounted.

John

·
Registered
143 Posts
Went with the table stand in case I want to relocate the plasma in the future. Fujitsu recommends securing the stand to the cabinet surface with supplied screws for reasons John mentions, and to avoid accidental movement by pets and children.

Pete...

·
Registered
891 Posts
I started out with a desk stand because of plaster walls, but I voted wall mount. When I got the Plasma I realized what a sin it was not to wall mount. Its all in the bolts -- got some masonary bolts and the Plasma is very stable. I still have the desk stand I originally ordered and I am keeping that in the event that I move or need to move the Plasma. It looks great wall mounted..its been a very slow process for me..now I just need to hide cables better.:D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I've got my Pannasonic on it's table stand. The wife was already a little leary of spending so much money (although she's a convert now), and I suspect she would have taped the cats to the wall to keep me from putitng any holes in the wall. (chuckling as I try to imagine our cats stuck on the walls).

I wasn't really happy with having the plasma on the stand that we'd had the GE 32" on, and I couldn't find anything I liked in the stores, so I finally built a new cabinet on which to sit the plasma and hold all my equipment. You can take a look at it here .

Yes, after getting the IR repeater gear, it cost more than a wall mount, but I think I actually like it better than I would the wall mount (which might be too high for my taste).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wall Mounted. 30.00%

Table Stand. 66.00%

Other... 4.00%

Out of 50 votes here are the results.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Other- Bello's 4260 Plasma Stand. Works for me.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
My LCD came with a table stand...I put it on the wall with a telescopic swivel mount, and it rules. I fishtaped the cables through the wall.

A fishtape is a must to do this with ease. To make it clean, I ran the cables through a 1 inch diameter PVC fitting, behind the TV, and out the wall by the outlet. It looks neat and sort of industrial. Not that it matters, but guests just love the way it looks on the wall. It frees up a lot of floor space as well. Put it on a wall you all.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My plasma is on a black Peerless desk mount on top of a black rolling stand. With this location and proper backlighting, the mount and the stand seem to vanish and the image floats suspended in the air.

The stand is about 6 feet in front of the wall and bookcases behind which are uniformly lit with tracklighting. During viewing, the background remains out of focus and also seems to disappear from perception.

The result is like the effect seen in a photograph where the main subject is in sharp focus against a soft focus background. This old trick of composition allows your attention to be naturally drawn to the main subject and makes it pop in a most satisfying manner.

I find this plasma setup extremely comfortable and I can watch for many hours without any sense of eyestrain. Because everything else is out of focus there is also an increased sense of immersion. Being able to move the plasma to the perfect viewing distance is also a plus.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.