AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I'm in desperate need for some assistance. I've used Monoprice mounts before, but NEVER on Brick. I'm trying to hand a 58" Panasonic Plasma on a Brick Fireplace for my Sister in Law. The TV weighs around 105lbs or so.

I received the mount from Monoprice. It says to drill 10mm holes for the concrete anchors and lag screws. Well, wouldn't you know but no place in my area carries metric masonry bits (even the specialty stores). The specialty store told me that a 3/8" bit was close, but a little smaller than 10mm and to drill the hole, then "waller" it out so the anchor would fit. The first hole I drilled, and then I routed it out, worked fine. However, the second one, when I thought it was good enough, I tried tapping in the anchor and it went in so far, then it stopped and just bent when I tapped further. This happened to two other anchors. So, at this time, I only have 3 of the 6 anchors in the brick (the other 3 are now gone).

I need to add some more support. I've seen many use TapCon Screws for mounting TVs. Can anyone let me know what Size Tap Con screws to purchase that would hold up a 105 lb TV? I'm not sure the Diameter, nor the length I need to support this weight (again, I have 3 anchors in now that will use the provided Lag Bolts. Also, do I need specific washers, or will any washer the right size be fine?

Thanks so much for your help, and if someone could let me know soon, I'd really appreciate it as I'm stopping at Lowes tomorrow and going back for another try.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
All you need to do is get plastic inserts at your local home improvement store. There are inserts that are good for 100# each. IIRC they take a 3/8" hole. In any case, it will be a fractional inch size for which a masonry drill will be readily available, not metric. If the messed up ones you have are plastic, you may be able to just cut them off and drill out with a regular drill bit, then put in the new insert, assuming you didn't go to oversize on the hole. There is less than .020" difference between 3/8 and 10mm.

FWIW I used these things to install the brackets for a mantle in a brick fireplace and have stood on the mantle with nary a wobble.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
did he say nary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.