AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just g ot a 80inch sharp and want to mount it on top of a fireplace that has wood panel any suggestions because I can't seem to find the studs please see pictures the screen ontop will go down and that's where I want to pkace the monster witch weights 110 pounds. Any helo is greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
my sharp 80 at about 100+ lbs is hanging on a fullmotion mount on a 2 x10 x 36 solid oak load plate across 3 studs and extends about 25-28 inches:SOLID
you need to locate studs
buy a better stud finder, use it , then take it back (LOL)

but if that's your only location , you didn't state viewing distance
and i'm willing to bet that wrt to viewing angle its way too high, try to get a full motion so you can get some tilt
if you want to get the most from what you spent, check out THX viewing specs for that size, the goal is an immersive video experience
otherwise its just another biga$$ TV

·
Registered
578 Posts
Your going to get neck aches looking up at that set.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah, you really need to find the studs. Given that this is above a fireplace, the stud arrangement in that area may not be the usual/basic 16" on-center spacing. Depending on how the flue needed to be boxed in, you may have a gap in the studs right in the middle, and possibly some doubled-up studs on either side. Definitely get a decent electronic stud-finder, rather than the simple magnet kind that are looking for nails in the studs, and not the studs themselves.

The other main challenge of an above-the-fireplace mount lies in getting cables to the set, as well as power. I forget the name of the company/product just now, but you can find kits for doing a sort of power and cables "extension" with wiring in the walls, with cable connecters and a power outlet brought out right behind the TV. Still, you will have the issue of getting wires through the wall studs. Fishing wires vertically is pretty easy, but the horizontal part of the cable routing is tricky. One "trick" that might work is to do the horizontal portion of the run basically on top of the mantle. (Come up from floor level on one side of the fireplace, in the wall, then go across the top of the mantle to roughly the middle, then go back into the wall to get up to behind the TV.) Depending on what type of mantle top you have, you can then bury the entry and exit holes at mantle level (as well as the actual cables/wires) with either a false-top to the mantle, or some sort of molding that is added to it (e.g., a small crown molding, upside down, between the wall and the back edge of the mantle). In my own case, my existing mantle was painted wood, and so I built a false top that covered up the cables that were laying on top of the original mantle, and also covered up entry/exit holes into the wall. Once painted, you couldn't tell that the false top had been added. This method also allowed me to get speaker wires to a center-channel speaker that I mounted underneath the mantle.

As for viewing angle - definitely get a mount that will let you have the screen angled down. It doesn't necessarily need to point directly at the "eyes on the sofa", but should at least minimize the vertical viewing angle.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Two days ago I was recommending this tv mount on the link below to a guy that have his tv on top of the fireplace, I think that is a great solution but expensive.

It said that it can hold 120 pounds.

click the link

post #1066 of 1121 Old 04-26-2015, 08:56 PM

·
Registered
303 Posts
One other comment/idea. Is your wood paneling nailed to the studs, with small brads or finishing nails? Or is it glued-in? If nailed (and no glue), you can probably remove a panel or two (very carefully) to both assess the stud arrangement, as well as do in-wall wiring. (It's also possible that there are both a few nails AND glue, so be aware of that....)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so after buying a second scanner $50 ans givinf me readings allover and me taping aome nails where I get a ghost stud to no luck and only finding one stud I whent to craigslist and called a guy. He sayed free estimate no obligation so I gave it a go. He comes to my house pulles out he's stud finder plays with the wall and then he goes and tells me ok I can do it it will cost you $300 ibtry to bargain so I bring him down to $250.
So he graves the finder makes a couple of marka then graved a like 6 magnets and runs one about at 8 ft high and the. Second at around 7. The magnets attached to the wall he makes some marks inline in 3 diferent locations (I GUESS HE FOUND THEM) he puts the back piece of the mount kit on the tv measures the tv bottom to the bracket and measures on the wall where the bracket is going he puts the bracket on the wall with a magnetic level and then marks where he's going to drill. On the top and bottom part of the wall bracket he gors and drills like four huge holes like 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch and I was like **** !!!!!!
He grabed a piece of wire and stick it in there and then measures on the outside of the wall with tge wire ( at this point I was clueless of what he was doing so I ask him and he tells me to give him a second ???? )
He grabed 4 weird looking plastic things with a metal bar on one end. Stiks them on the holes and pulled and it sounded like a zip tie so then he grabed the mount and a couple of screws and bolts them inthe place he made the 4 holes grabs the level and puta it in level by now some one is knocking on the door and he tells me oh that's my partner could you please let him in so I say ok
So we're back and now he got a drill with a drill bit tha it was really small he now makes 6 small holes 2 in vertical align each where I think are the studs he pulls a very long screw I would say 5 or 6 inch pulles out a impact driver and puts them where he previously made the holes
Then he by gies and say that's it this ain't g oing now where and he grabs the bracket and hangs from it and am telling you this guy is a 6 ft tall and would guess is about 220 - 250 pounds so iwas really happy so now here comes the moment of trust they both start talking in spanish and I was like ????? So they start moving the ladders around and hoing up and down ( so i I wss really clueless ) then they tell me if I could just watch for the tv while they get up in the ladder so they both lift the tv from the floor about waist high and then tell me please grab the left side ok so the guy on the left goes quickly up in the ladder and then grabs the tv so they tell me ti grab the right side and he does the same now they tell me to just jold the midddle and they put the tv up In The mantle rest for a few second and put it on the bracket they statt witj the spanish again and both keep looking at the back of the tv and they say something like
Cingamos. And I know that's a bad word so I tell them what what happened ....
He hies that's it is done he grabs a drill and screwed 2 screws on The bottom.
So he tells me what are you connecting to the tv so itell hin a all in one home theatet and dvd player and he says you're not going to like watching dvds on this screen
He connected for me after selling me a $30 15ft hdmi cable (**** this crap is expensive ) so now am happy and I pay him.
He took like 4 hours to get the tv installed
So what do you huys think was 300 to much.

He also cleaned up the mess he did oh but I have to point out he placed some blankets on my furniture and was very professional letting me know thatbit was going to get a bit loud and dusti with the drills.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Ok so after buying a second scanner $50 ans givinf me readings allover and me taping aome nails where I get a ghost stud to no luck and only finding one stud I whent to craigslist and called a guy. He sayed free estimate no obligation so I gave it a go. He comes to my house pulles out he's stud finder plays with the wall and then he goes and tells me ok I can do it it will cost you $300 ibtry to bargain so I bring him down to $250.
So he graves the finder makes a couple of marka then graved a like 6 magnets and runs one about at 8 ft high and the. Second at around 7. The magnets attached to the wall he makes some marks inline in 3 diferent locations (I GUESS HE FOUND THEM) he puts the back piece of the mount kit on the tv measures the tv bottom to the bracket and measures on the wall where the bracket is going he puts the bracket on the wall with a magnetic level and then marks where he's going to drill. On the top and bottom part of the wall bracket he gors and drills like four huge holes like 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch and I was like **** !!!!!!
He grabed a piece of wire and stick it in there and then measures on the outside of the wall with tge wire ( at this point I was clueless of what he was doing so I ask him and he tells me to give him a second ???? )
He grabed 4 weird looking plastic things with a metal bar on one end. Stiks them on the holes and pulled and it sounded like a zip tie so then he grabed the mount and a couple of screws and bolts them inthe place he made the 4 holes grabs the level and puta it in level by now some one is knocking on the door and he tells me oh that's my partner could you please let him in so I say ok
So we're back and now he got a drill with a drill bit tha it was really small he now makes 6 small holes 2 in vertical align each where I think are the studs he pulls a very long screw I would say 5 or 6 inch pulles out a impact driver and puts them where he previously made the holes
Then he by gies and say that's it this ain't g oing now where and he grabs the bracket and hangs from it and am telling you this guy is a 6 ft tall and would guess is about 220 - 250 pounds so iwas really happy so now here comes the moment of trust they both start talking in spanish and I was like ????? So they start moving the ladders around and hoing up and down ( so i I wss really clueless ) then they tell me if I could just watch for the tv while they get up in the ladder so they both lift the tv from the floor about waist high and then tell me please grab the left side ok so the guy on the left goes quickly up in the ladder and then grabs the tv so they tell me ti grab the right side and he does the same now they tell me to just jold the midddle and they put the tv up In The mantle rest for a few second and put it on the bracket they statt witj the spanish again and both keep looking at the back of the tv and they say something like
Cingamos. And I know that's a bad word so I tell them what what happened ....
He hies that's it is done he grabs a drill and screwed 2 screws on The bottom.
So he tells me what are you connecting to the tv so itell hin a all in one home theatet and dvd player and he says you're not going to like watching dvds on this screen
He connected for me after selling me a $30 15ft hdmi cable (**** this crap is expensive ) so now am happy and I pay him.
He took like 4 hours to get the tv installed
So what do you huys think was 300 to much.

He also cleaned up the mess he did oh but I have to point out he placed some blankets on my furniture and was very professional letting me know thatbit was going to get a bit loud and dusti with the drills.
Your post might as well be in a foreign language. You overpaid for an HDMI cable. I haven't a clue if you were overcharged, don't know how it was installed, were the wires fished in wall? Was an outlet put in behind the set?

I wouldn't install a wall mounted TV without fishing the wires and installing an outlet otherwise it looks like crap. I guess you'll know if it was worth it or not if the TV falls off the wall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts