AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to install a Monoprice 4173 Mount to my Sister in Law's brick fireplace tomorrow. I've installed this same type mount for my TV to Studs.

The hardware that comes with the Monoprice 4173 Mount is concrete anchors and lag bolts. It requires good sized holes to be drilled. She really wants smaller holes, such as that from TapCon screws. I chatted with Monoprice and they recommend the plastic anchors and bolts that come with the Mount, but I could contact a professional, so I thought I'd post here. If this is the wrong place, let me know. The TV is a 58" Panasonic Viera Plasma that weights around 108lbs. Should I use the included anchors and bolts and drill the large holes, or can I use TapCon screws and washers (so the head doesn't fall through the slots of the mount) as that seems to be an "easier" way to mount, but I don't want this TV falling either.

Also, does anyone know the size machine screw for the Panasonic Vieras to use on the back of the TV?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tony, I've done some research on this as I may be mounting into brick myself. Go with the heavy duty lags designed for brick. The panny is a beast weight wise, and your going to want the piece of mind that it's not going to come down.

In the future if they should get a new set, it will just cover the holes anyway. If they decide to take the panel down, it can easily be concealed with a map,painting, etc. Those tapconsare rated heavy duty, but the diameter of the screws themselves are thin. Your best going with the bolts provided with the mount so that the anchor heads and washers are really snug diameter wise in the mounting holes.

Also, make sure you you have another guy to help or it's not doable. I'm 6 2" 240 and had a hell of a time lifting my 58 from the floor onto a stand. Asides from weight, its difficult to get a handle on the thing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blackhawk....that's exactly what I'm going to do. My sister in law said if they ever removed the TV for good from the FP, they'd cover it with a picture or painting.

My buddy is letting me borrow a Dewalt hammer drill. Is that really required for drilling into brick, or can I use my normal drill?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New problem. MP mount calls for a 10mm hole for the anchor. No hardware store in my area cares metric masonry bits. The guy I spoke with suggested I use a 3/8" bit and "Waller" it out a little to install the anchor.

Should I do that or purchase some 3/8 lag screws and anchors opposed to what came with the mount?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley /forum/post/20874347

New problem. MP mount calls for a 10mm hole for the anchor. No hardware store in my area cares metric masonry bits. The guy I spoke with suggested I use a 3/8" bit and "Waller" it out a little to install the anchor.

Should I do that or purchase some 3/8 lag screws and anchors opposed to what came with the mount?

It is fairly common to substitute a 3/8" bit for 10mm. There is only a 0.02" difference.

Sears mentions SAE bits for metric equivalence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.