AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question and i would definitley like to hear from those who have successfully done this. Can I mount my new panny above a gas log fireplace? It doesnt have a blower and there is an 8 inch mantle about 18inches above it. Has anyone done it... is it okay... will it void warranty...

I appreciate all the responces from you guy, they have helped me out a great deal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I actually will be doing just that and mounting the Panasonic above my gas fireplace which has no blower. Waiting right now for the granite surround as I lowered my fireplace and didn't like the tiles that were originally there.

Heat is definite concern. I don't have a blower either to push the heat out from the fireplace - the heat rises directly above. One thing to consider is how far out your mantle extends from the fireplace. Because that will block out the hot airflow from directly hitting the plasma. As to how much the airflow gets pushed out - this is what I'm wondering too. I asked the granite guys to extend the mantle 6"or so out from the fireplace. Now whether that's enough or not - I'll definitely be finding out shortly.

But I'm keeping my fingers crossed by having a barrier directly above the airflow of the fireplace that extends 6" will be enough. One thing for sure though when I put my hand above the fireplace - you definitely won't be leaving it there for long as that airflow is very very very hot.

Be curious to know what others have done. Worst case - the fireplace doesn't get used. I've never used them before anyhow so not too big of a deal for me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We do it all the time. In the last 2 years We have installed probably20 of them over fireplaces. Her's a link for some pics of 2 that we did. The lower 2 pics were a little closer than I would've like it to be, but the customer demanded it be at that level, but it hasn't had any problems at all, and it's been in about over a year. Here's the link http://www.geocities.com/stevemac99/plasmas.html

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is it vented to the outside?

Check the mfr specs - mine (majestic) said within 1" of installation or vent pipe was fine. (It is a direct vent) I got to 1" with some framing. No problems so far...

·
Registered
476 Posts
McNasty

1. Don't your customers get headaches by staring up at their plasmas mounted so high ("low-level-request" customer excluded)? Just curious.

2. What is the impact on picture quality of such a vertical viewing angle?

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSer
McNasty

1. Don't your customers get headaches by staring up at their plasmas mounted so high ("low-level-request" customer excluded)? Just curious.

2. What is the impact on picture quality of such a vertical viewing angle?

Mike
We only put them up that high when the sitting area allows it. The seating in the first two pictures is about 12-14 feet away from the screen. In the other pictures the screen is only about 4 feet off the floor. On the same note...do you get a headache from the screen level at a movie theater? At a theater you are looking up more than you would in these situations. Do you agree with that at all? I don't believe it affects picture quality at all. Plasma screens have a huge viewing angle, and putting it up a few feet is only maybe 10-15 degrees.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
We have our plasma sitting in an alcove that's just above an inset fireplace (gas, with side exhaust). There is no blower. If we watch tv for an evening, and have the fireplace on the whole time (say, 3 hours), the base of the plasma is warm to the touch. No problems though. And the plasma is three years old.

·
Registered
476 Posts
McNasty

I try to find a seat in a theater so I don't have to look up.

I guess, people like to recline while watching TV, which changes the vertical viewing angle.

For long-time viewing (e.g. sitting in front of a computer monitor all day long), the recommendation is to look slightly downward.

Mike

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am taking delivery of a 42 inch Panasonic today, and will be mounting it on a wall. Should I place it the same distance from the floor that my TV tube was, or is there a better metric for screen height.

I'm concerned that what I might like in the short term will not be that good of a thing in the long term.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have done many over gas FP's that are vented to the outside without problems. Some folks don't mind the increased height (viewing angle).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.