AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little off topic since this is not going to go in my Dedicated Room (PJ resides there), but my family room off the Dedicated HT.

The Family/Playroom was built when I moved in the house. I'm getting ready to purchase a Panasonic 50PX80 720p Plasma and a $25 Tilting Mount from Monoprice. I noticed that wall I'm going to mount the TV to is NOT on normal 2x4 studs.

What they did was use 2x3 studs, and mounted them (wide side down) to the Concrete block (as furring strips) and then drywall over that. That means I have ONE stud (centered exactly where I want the TV mounted), but it's only 1.5" thick, and then the .5" drywall.

The Panasonic Plasma weighs 83lbs based on what I've read online. I really don't know how to mount this now. I don't think small screws in the middle of the mount, into the 1.5" 2x3 will suffice for hanging a 83lb TV.

I've thought about using 6 to 8 Drywall anchors, then using small wood screws for the middle of the mount. That way, I'd have the drywall anchors spread out as much as possible (with as many as possible) along with small screws in the middle to the .5" drywall and 1.5" stud (furring strip). However, I feel uncomfortable about the drywall anchors holding the TV (even by using several and mounting wood screws in the middle).

Another option is to cut out the drywall and furring stip and building a BOX out of 2x4s, and mounting them to the block, then the Mount to the 2x4 box. Not sure how well this will work either.

Anyone have some suggestions for me?

·
Registered
169 Posts
can we see a picture of how this wall is studded?

I would suggest opening the wall either way, but I like making more work for myself. Plus opening the wall may give you the option of placing a hidden outlet. I wouldn't trust the anchors, in my mind it seems like the tv would just rip a chunk of the wall out over time. but I don't know.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/14189356

I would use concrete anchors and long bolts.

Using this method, would you drill the hole through the drywall, then the concrete block, insert the anchors through the drywall, into the block, then the bolts? Or, would you have to cut out the drywall in the areas where the anchors will go, so you can get the anchors into the block?

Do you need a hammer drill to drill into the block to insert the anchors?

Also, I 'MAY' have poured concrete in the Block. Will a concrete anchor work if there is solid concrete in the block?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley /forum/post/14189427

Using this method, would you drill the hole through the drywall, then the concrete block, insert the anchors through the drywall, into the block, then the bolts? Or, would you have to cut out the drywall in the areas where the anchors will go, so you can get the anchors into the block?

I would drill/cut a larger hole in the drywall (3/4 to 1 inch) to use as an access point to the concrete. You are going to want some room to get your fingers/tools in there to insert the anchors into the concrete. The larger drywall hole will be covered by the mount, and if it is not completely covered, nobody is going to see it anyway (behind plasma).

Quote:
Do you need a hammer drill to drill into the block to insert the anchors?

I have never needed a hammer drill for small hole concrete drilling. Just get a new concrete bit (good one) that is long enough. I use a cordless drill, and it takes a while to drill into concrete with it, but I have never had a problem. A corded drill will make things faster. I have heard people having a hard time drilling into some concrete, so YMMV.

Quote:
Also, I 'MAY' have poured concrete in the Block. Will a concrete anchor work if there is solid concrete in the block?

That is the only potential issue that I see - what anchors to use might depend on if the block is hollow or not. I would go the the hardware store and see if you can get some anchors for both situations that take the same size hole. If so, then your are set either way - drill the holes and put the right anchors in.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I would open up the wall and attach 2x4s to the block as needed to support the mount, using construction adhesive and Tapcons. This shouldn't be that big of a deal -- the hardest part will be patching the drywall.

Good luck! -- Paul

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had an almost exact situation, except the furring strips were 1 x 2. I used a hole saw to open up the spots in the paneling (not drywall) where the fasteners were going to go, then used some 1 x 2 pieces as spacers and mounted the plasma mount with TapCons through the spacers and into the block. I think I used 8 TapCons. Although I am always suspicious of the holding power of concrete block, the mount is still solidly attached to the wall.

I would definitely NOT use drywall anchors, and if you make something out of 2 x 4s you still need to attach it to the block, so you may as well just attach it directly.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I agree with teh last 2 posters. Some variation of what they are talking about is the best way. Tapcons rock and are excellent in holding power.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L /forum/post/14189980

I agree with teh last 2 posters. Some variation of what they are talking about is the best way. Tapcons rock and are excellent in holding power.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll try the Tapcons.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Make sure you use the proper size bit and drill the pilot hole at least 1/4" deeper than you will embed the screw. If not, the cutting dust will have no where to go and you'll bottom out before you get it tight. The TapCon should go into the block 1" to 1.75".

·
Registered
430 Posts
You can use large wood screws. Use the correct size tapered bit when you drill the pilot holes to get the most holding power. Or you could screw some 1/4-20 threaded inserts that are meant for wood into the studs. Those threaded inserts seem to have very good holding power. If you don't trust just using the studs you could always add a few extra hollow wall fasteners.

Randy

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I will be getting a 60" plasma for basement and paneling doesn't have any studs behind it in area of mounting.. Foundation is about 2 3/4" away from panel.. Will I have to drill thru paneling into foundation with the anchors? Otherwise any suggestions for a stand that holds this size tv?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Can you remove the paneling and install a couple of studs? This will probably be your best bet.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Oman321:

thanks for the quick reply.. Yes that's exactly what my son suggested.. Make a hole big enough to put 2 studs in.. supports now are 2x3s 4 & 8ft hi.. strange layout

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
What you can perhaps do is get 3 pressure treated 2x4's put them about 16" apart flat against the croncrete wall. In other words the wide part would be facing you once installed. Use some liquid nails and 3" lag bolts to attach the 2x4's to the wall. then get some 1/2" and 3/4" inch plywood. Attach a large enough section consisting of the 2 layers of plywood to the studs. You now make up the depth of your wall cavity with with something for the mount bolts to really grab on to 1.5+.50+.75=2.75. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 /forum/post/14622923

I will be getting a 60" plasma for basement and paneling doesn't have any studs behind it in area of mounting.. Foundation is about 2 3/4" away from panel.. Will I have to drill thru paneling into foundation with the anchors? Otherwise any suggestions for a stand that holds this size tv?

I used these to excellent results http://www.toggler.com/products_hwm.html

CD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts