AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of having a house designed and my architect is allowing a space for a plasma screen above the fireplace. The designer assured me that the building code is very strict allowing a lot of insulation. The screen will be mounted in a special prepared drywall inset protruding out. With a glass fireplace screen and the drywall inset, he thought it would be ok. Is there a problem concerning heat from the fireplace?

Lenny

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Lenny-

While there are many previous threads here on fireplace mountings that I encourage you to search and read, I will add that you are probably better off than most. Mainly due to the fact that this installation is being planned out in advance, instead of a later retro-fit.

Most manufacturers require a 3" -4" gap all the way around the perimeter of the PDP itself, so whatever space is being allocated needs to take that into account.

You will see examples of installs were this 'gap' is not adhered to, my only concern would be getting warranty work done if things overheated, IOW, the manufacturer could say "sir, your plasma install did not follow specified requirements, sorry you are not covered..."

Kinda scary.

Mantles, also help to deflect heat as well.

Some installers, only inset plasmas equiped with cooling fans.

Good luck

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome to the board Lenny. Couple of things:

First, read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), it is stickied at the top of the main plasma thread page. There is a fireplace discussion in there.

Second, do a search for 'fireplace'. This issue has been discussed very often and you will find lots of info.

Generally, whether or not you can mount a plasma over the fireplace depends on the fireplace. Mine is a standard gas fireplace that emits VERY little heat. There is no brick or masonry to worry about and there is no risk of smoke damage because it burns natural gas. My brother's gas fireplace, on the other hand, can practically heat his entire house and I wouldn't put an expensive piece of electronics within 15 feet. It is going to depend on your setup.

Finally, it looks like you are in the best position now because you are in the design phase. Better to plan ahead now than have to deal with something already built. There is a guy around here - MississipiMan (or something like that). In the past he has posted some fireplace designs and installs that he has done. Search around, there is a ton of information on this board.

Edit: looks like others beat me to the punch - oh well

·
Registered
85 Posts
 Fireplace Thread

Above is a link to a post I started about my new P50 set-up. I did not even come close to reacing Fujitsu's maximum allowed temp when doing the burn in of the fireplace (10 hours, 30,000 BTU, with NO fan on). It was so warm you could not stand to be in the room :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.