AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. In preparation of the upcoming delivery of my X1 (why do UPS packages always get caught in Cache, IL?), I'm building my ceiling mount. Now, my proposed screen size is 86" diagonal in 16:9. I want any 4:3 content displayed inside of this, which I suppose means that I'll have to fiddle with the mechanical zoom to make the conversion, but 4:3 material occasions will be few and far between. I'm fine with that.

What I can't quite wrap my head around is what distance should I place the projector so that the 4:3 is inscribed in the 16:9 area?

Using projector central's calc, I came up with these dimensions:

16:9

-----------

75x43, 86" diag (I used the PLV-Z1's calculator because it's the right ratio)

To be inscribed, the 4:3 would share the same height (wasted width), so the X1 calculator tells me:

4:3

-----------

58x43, 72" diag

Great. To throw a 72" image the X1 needs to be from 9-11 feet away. Now, to throw the 16:9 using the same width (since it masks top & bottom), I calculated the screen height of a 4:3 if it were the 75" wide of a 16:9 image . That gives me a throw distance of 11.8-14.75.

As the throw distances don't overlap, is my idea screwed? How do others deal with this?

Thanks guys. I'm almost peeing myself in anticipation of FP!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
You're right, the zoom lens alone doesn't have enough range to shrink fullscreen (800x600) 4:3 material down to fit within the height of a 16:9 screen. But the X1's Native mode will allow most 4:3 sources to display within a 640x450 center portion of the normal 16:9 (800x450) screen area.

See this recent thread for more discussion:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=305595

BTW, I think the InFocus calculator is more accurate for the X1. See
http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/#5.2

for some more info and a link.

I suggest you don't make your screen until you've had a chance to use your X1 for a bit to see what screen size looks best to you at your seating distance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.