AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was preparing to mount my front on-wall speakers when I noticed a problem, and have no clue how to handle it. I found numerous posts about speaker clearance to the sides (i.e. walls) but nothing about clearance underneath on-wall speakers.

The plan was to mount the speakers just outside and above the very ends of an audio cabinet 25" high x 27" deep x 85" long. But now I'm concerned if the minimal clearance between the bottom edge of the speaker and the top of the cabinet (about 1") will create the same issue as trying to mount a speaker 1" from a side wall.

I was trying to keep the speakers as low as possible since that height already positions the tweeters 4" above ear level. And I can't space the speakers any wider since the right speaker is already 24" from a side wall. Seems like I have myself trapped in a corner and I don't know what to do. I could really use some help before I start drilling and mounting brackets. Thanks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would but nothing is in place yet. The audio cabinet is still a couple feet out from the wall after mounting the wall bracket for the display. The display is ready to hang on the wall but until I know how high I'm mounting the speakers I can't adjust the display bracket. I attached a quick drawing but if you want to see pics of the components I can do that as well. Thanks

BTW, the speakers are Paradigm Signature W5/W5C

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a picture of the audio cabinet and the display waiting to be mounted on the back wall. You can also see the corner which is what keeps me from spacing the speakers further apart. Thanks.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,431 Posts
The good news is that the tweeters are pretty far from the cabinet. I don't see a lot of options for placement.

After you do the install, if you notice a problem you could make some mini DIY acoustical panels for the top of the cabinet, or better yet sell it and get something no wider than the TV, It is taking up a big chunk of the rooms real estate.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting how you specifically referred to the tweeters. Could you explain why so I can understand better? Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just one more question so I can at least start mounting the speakers.

In the event I do notice a problem after the speakers are mounted, any idea how thick the "mini DIY acoustical panels" for the top of the cabinet would need to be? This way I can leave enough space between the speakers and cabinet. As it is now, there will only be 1" of space, but if the acoustical panels will need to be 2" thick, I'll want to raise the speakers another inch.

Thanks much for your help.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I talked to Paradigm shortly after my last post and thought I would post one of their more interesting suggestions here. They said I might want to rotate the tweeter midrange assembly 180 degrees so the tweeter is on the bottom. Never thought about that.

I haven't tried it yet because my setup isn't finished and I would like to do a before and after comparison, but I looked at the tweeter assembly and rotating it 180 degrees would lower the tweeter by more than 4 inches which is very impressive. Actually they agreed I could accomplish the same thing, and keep them at the same angle, by just swapping the speakers and turning them upside down in the process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts