AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me decide how and where to mount the panels I've just made to deaden a "live" room.

I'm converting a finished drywall room to a theater/media room. The room is quite live so I've built some DIY panels based on ideas found here & elsewhere. The panels are 2' x 4' x 4" deep and have been made to mount off the wall by 1.5". I've finished six panels in all - - for now.

Questions I have now are where and how high to mount the panels?

Where?

I'm planning on two vertical panels on the front wall behind left and right speakers. Another two will be mounted vertically on the side walls at the primary reflection point for left & right speakers. Last two will also probably go on side walls as the rear wall should either reflect or diffuse. If need be, I'll make a seventh 2' x 4' panel and mount it horizontally on the rear wall.

How high?

I'm thinking about panel tops at 4.5-5 feet up the side and front walls for vertical mounting (just a bit above ear level for rows 1 and 2 of seating). This will create panels that begin about 6" off the floor and extend above ear level.

Comments, suggestions, recommendations much appreciated!!

Cheers,

-Paul

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ethan,

Thanks for your response and comments.

Here's more on the panel construction:

I basically followed a combination of some of the recipes I've found on-line.

My Acoustic Panel Recipe:

1. Built a 1x4 frame 2' x 4'

2. Screwed 1/4" pegboard to back of frame to give some rigidity but maintain porous back side

3. Caulked inside of 2x4 frame to ensure no loose connections

4. Added four 6" pieces of 2"x2" 4" in from corners on back for wall mounting. Painted 2x2's black and glued felt to backs (for soft wall contact)

5. Filled the panel with:

[a] 1 layer of batting

2 layers of R-13 fiberglass

[c] additional layer of batting

6. Stretched a coarse (1/2") mesh over the top to reduce puffiness and stapled to frame

7. Wrapped the entire front and sides in black burlap, stapling and gluing to back

8. Attached heavy-duty mirror hooks to 2x2's for hanging (mounting this way results in the panel being 1.5"+ off the wall. Gives a cool appearance - as though the panel is "floating" on the wall. This also has acoustical benefits, from what I understand.

Now all I need to do is mount these in the right places.

I also know I need to get after bass in the room with some corner traps - - that'll be next.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ethan!

Quote:
for general mid/high frequency absorption and echo reduction, what you built will work fine.
Cool! My principal objective was to reduce pretty nasty reverberation and echo in the room, so I guess I done good. :p Low frequencies are not a big problem for me at this time, but as I said above, I'll get to those next!!

Thanks also for the link/reading - will be very helpful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.