AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I will be mounting my M8000 soon and just had a few questions.

first off I reversed the scan rates YEAH! So now my picture is upside down... perfect.

I have the mounting bracket for the thing so that is no problem.

Questions:

1. Will the feet work to mount it, or should I get bolts that are of the same size and thread? I was going to add washers either way.

2. I bought 1/2" MDF to mount on my ceiling joists in my basement, I was going to screw the MDF to my joists with many 2 1/2" wood screws (it spans 2 joists). Will this be enough to hold everything?

3. I am going to bolt the bracket to the MDF, it only has place for 4 bolts, what size should I use? 1/2" good enough? Washers and nuts of course.

4. Should I trust the Manual for distance? I want a 1.78 screen, I made the screen already it's 90" x 50.5" I tested the projector on the floor and it was about 120" to the feet. I didn't measure the feet to lens distance but it looks like 6" then the book is correct, since that would make my throw distance 114" the book says 113.8" (same when I use the formula).

Any other tips? Don't drop it! :)

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I will be mounting(no laughs) my M8000 soon as well. Keep in mind that I have I-joists in the ceiling that the PJ will be mounted in.

I had originally planned to use 5/8" MDF, but was concerned with a couple of things. Over time I think that the MDF would start to warp holding the weigt of the PJ. Also, with the close proximately of the bolts I was concerned with the integrity of the MDF and worried about breaks.

I cut two 2X6 boards the width of the I-joist just above the bottom part of the "I". I secured them using 2-2.5" 10P screws on each side through the side of the I-joist. Then I cut two more 2X6 boards the width at the bottom of the "I". Those were secured by 2-5" 10P screws on each side and 2-2.5" 10P screws to the 2X6 above it.

The PJ will be mounted using 4-.5X4.5" carriage bolts.

Throw distance I got for your screen was 119.8"(center of green tube) or 124.48"(front foot) according to the EHome distance calculator. PM me if you want me to send you the calculator.

Darren

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Some recommend determining throw by putting the pj on a dolly, setting H width to about 90 at the highest scan rate you'll use, then moving the pj until it fits your screen. Measure this distance and mount the pj at that distance. This is usually about 3-7% closer to the screen than the recommended throw, but it uses the most phosphor. This is just gathered from what I 've read here, I personally use factory throw distance, jsut to be safe.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same gn, maybe not a dolly, but I know what is CLOSE. I have already performed the reverse and reset all, I think I'll put it back and reset all again, then try to set it up with the recommended settings and see how it goes. This will give me the feeling like I'm mounting properly at least. Plus it's more practice on setting up, so when I get it on the ceiling maybe I'll be able to adjust in minutes!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out I can get 3/4" plywood for a good price and may go that route. But I was thinking about strapping or 1x4.

Attaching this to the beams would be strong. Man in my last place there was 1 piece of strapping held by 2 nails and I was able to hang from it.

What does a full piece like plywood or MDF really give me? 2 stirps of strapping would be the same sinc e the projector is only being attached at the 4 corners anyways.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Check out the post by Kal where he gives details of the Unistrut mounting method. I think an engineer chimed in near the end and explained how to determine holding capabilities of different fasteners. I think you would be better with a piece of plywood over MDF or strapping, but just use Unistrut, bolted directly to the joists. There's a Unistrut distributer right in Ottawa.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I guess if all else fails I can go unistrut but why would I if I have the manufacturers mounting bracket? Although from the little I read of unistrut you can move the projector forward and back a little which would be nice.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
What I meant was to use the unistrut to span your joists and attatch the pj to the unistrut, no plywood or mdf or strapping, and if you like you can have some adjustment movement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.