AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i received my premier psm501f mount and I am ready to mount my pio503. Problem is even with the 3 inch left to right movement, my studs are not in the right place and my plasma would not be centered between the 2 windows that are on the same wall.

Would I be able to mount 3/4 inch plywood or thicker to the studs on the wall and then mount the wall mount to the plywood, or should i take 2 2x4's and mount them across the wall, and then mount the mount to the 2x4's.

to me the only downfall is that the plasma will pertrude out the extra distance of the wood.

of course, now my wife thinks it would look good over our fireplace, which is another option if i get a deeper mantle installed and just mount those 2 feet supplied on the mantle,

its nice to have these small problems since at least i finally have my set

·
Registered
85 Posts
why don't you order a different mount?

i have the same problem as you and i ordered a peerless flatmount PSW series.

they have up to 8" of horizontal leeway. that should be enough in any type of situation.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
...or you could cut away the sheet rock and inset the plywood to minimize the depth. And why you are at it why not use 'T-nuts' & threaded machine bolts on the plywood for a more secure mount.

·
Registered
109 Posts
3/4" Plywood is enough support for that screen. I've mounted a 60" Zenith on 3/4" Plywood and it's still holding strong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies, i think im going to install 2 strips of 2x4's mounted to the studs and put the mount onto the 2x4's with lag bolts, even though i only will get 1.5 inches of actual wood penetration, that should be enough to support 85 pounds of plasma

·
Registered
109 Posts
O.k., just take what I said with a grain of salt...I only install these things every day. Do me a favor...call it an experiment if you will. Make a 2"thick peg and drill a 1/2" hole trhough it. Now using a 3" lag, screw that peg to a 3/4 inch piece of plywood. Can you hang on it with out it breaking? I know I can and I weigh 170lbs. Why is it so hard for people to believe that 85 pounds evenly distributed over 4 to 6 lags bolted to 3/4 plywood insn't enough?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I am confused about how to hang myself on a 3" lag bolt. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks fasteddielv, finally someone agrees with me. Anyone that knows anything about phyisigs also knows that the weight of the display is mostly pulling downward, not outward. Make a big difference.

LMAO Rogo

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 42" plasma mounted to plywood that is then mounted to the drywall. I am neither a physicist nor did I attempt to hang myself on it first, but my builder had no worries and it has been in place for 18 months(including a couple removals and remounts when we put on wall-coverings).

By the way- we used padded fabric as a wall covering which made the plywood flush and also allowed us to mount a center speaker underneath in-wall with a fabric cover for a very clean, almost invisible look. The padded fabric also has the advantage of providing some sound insulation in our NY apt, but to be honest neither that nor I had anything to do with the decorating decision- it was all for WAF!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Rogo-

The simplest way is to tie your shoelaces together and hang like a bat. Dont' forget to fold your arms.:D:D:D

Lew

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,177 Posts
I have mounted two plasma'a a 42" Panasonic and a 50% Pioneer using 1/2" Plywood.

1. Painted it white.

2. Bolted the wall bracket to the board.

3. Lagged the Board into studs. Allowed the bolts to break

the drywall behind them.

4. Mounted the screen.

There is no problem. What counts is getting the lags into the

studs.

-- Rich

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I wanted to precisely mount my display at a very specific location. I used a U channel material (I think the trade name is Unistrut) that is used in the electrical trade.

I attached three of these horizontally across the studs, over each other of the required distance from each other to line up with the Plasma mounting bracket requirements. Now install the swivel spring loaded inserts into the U channel, and you can attach the Plasma mounting bracket with the appropriate hardware into the U channel inserts.

Now you can locate the unit exactly where you want it and tighten down the hardware.

I've attached a "behind the scene" photo.

John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks to all that replied, i did mount it on 3/4 plywood and its as solid as a rock, plus it looks so good on my wall, thanks to all

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi

I will be taking the 'pioneer/panny plasma plunge' next month with a 42" model (still undecided, brand, ED/HD). Anyone tried mounting their plasma onto plywood without the manufacturer's mounting kit, using std hardware?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.