AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am replacing my old Monoprice Projector mount with something that will be more solid and capable, and more siutable for my new heavier PJ (HW55 possibly). I'm going with a Chief RSMAU which is able to sit closer to the ceiling than the RPMAU.

As for mounting, I am planning on Ceiling mounting directly. The dilemma here is that I have no 'block' in this area to attach to. I guess I could always cut open the sheetrock at the ceiling, secure a mounting block, and then cover up the area with a painted/wooden platform....but I was thinking INSTEAD:

1) Install a wooden 1" thick rectangular platform directly onto the finished ceiling (approx 20"x20") in such a way that I can anchor it securely to two joists (which are 16" on center, running left to right in the room).
2)Attach projector mount directly to the platform.

Some questions:
Is this common practice?
Can it be constructed so it is safe enough?
What would be the best method of attachment of the wooden platform to the joists?
And finally, best method of attachment of Chief mount to the platform?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Have any pics? I was thinking going with mdf as it is cleaner to cut and bevel. But not as strong I think?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Cool. Have any pics? I was thinking going with mdf as it is cleaner to cut and bevel. But not as strong I think?
I used to have an old CRT projector mounted like this back in the 1980's. A piece of 2X12 pine was attached between 2 ceiling joists and then trim was placed around the piece of 2X12 to make it look nice. The projector mount was then fastened to the 2X12, and it was a very solid installation. It was painted the same color as the ceiling. It was hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Hey,

Here's an old picture showing the double plywood layers:

Since then, I put Linacoustic over the top of it, fabric wrapped it, and put trip around the end. I haven't painted the trim yet but it shows you the clean, finished look...(and how dark it is!)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If alternatively I decide to put a block against the stud like the attached picture, would this be enough support assuming all 4 bolts hit the wood?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429656428.234714.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts