AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm running an RCA cable (for a sub) to the back of my room. Its going to run under the floor (in the crawl space) and then come up again. What is the easiest way to do this? I want it to be clean, so I was thinking of installing an RCA wall plate on the ground of my family room. Then I can just plug the sub into that. Is this normal practice? Anything I need to be aware of before trying to install this wall plate? Do I need to cut the carpet out or just get some really long screws?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
That will look horrible. Why can't you come up the wall?

You could cut in a large floor ring for a recessed box, that would probably be okay, but you'd be cutting a really big hole in your floor, which you probably want to avoid.

You could just skip the plate altogether and drill a small hole the size of the wire right at the baseboard or near it and feed the wire through. That disturbs very little.

But again, not sure what the obstacle is for coming up the wall and then just cutting in a plate outlet height. Need more information.

If it's an exterior wall on foundation or something that you can't drill up, you could drill into the floor after pulling the carpet back, then drill under the baseboard (or pull the baseboard and drill into the plate behind it) and then you're in the wall, and you can keep the wire hidden under the carpet, then cut in in the wall, and once again you haven't made a hideous mess of your floor.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Definitely agree with Chris - run it through the wall. It'll also be easier to work with the drywall to install it. I'd also recommend cutting next to a stud so you can secure the old work junction box to the stud for some stability.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just run RG6 coax and use F to RCA screw on connectors.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yeah...you don't want a single-gang plate installed below 18" AFF. They get destroyed when they're stepped on.

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts