AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good way to mount "non-structured wiring" components in a structured wiring panel?

I have some space left in an OpenHouse box that I'd like to mount two netgear boxes. Both are the "small blue rectangle boxes" type which should make mounting them easier.

Some of the "universal mount" brackets look like they may work but most come with adhesive tape to fix the device to the bracket. Figured the tape will lose its stickines over time, right.

Others seem to have a small shelf or pocket that you place the device.

I could even just screw the switch to the wall since it has mounting holes. The router does not so this method won't work.

Anyone have a good idea on how to do this?

thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_leo
Does anyone have a good way to mount "non-structured wiring" components in a structured wiring panel?

I have some space left in an OpenHouse box that I'd like to mount two netgear boxes. Both are the "small blue rectangle boxes" type which should make mounting them easier.

Some of the "universal mount" brackets look like they may work but most come with adhesive tape to fix the device to the bracket. Figured the tape will lose its stickines over time, right.

Others seem to have a small shelf or pocket that you place the device.

I could even just screw the switch to the wall since it has mounting holes. The router does not so this method won't work.

Anyone have a good idea on how to do this?

thanks
I use velcro sticky pads...works like a champ

Robert

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert,

Thanks for the velcro suggestion. Sometimes the easiest (and cheapest) solutions are the ones we overlook.

Leo

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I originally had my Linksys router stuck inside the panel with the velcro pads. Then I moved it to a plywood backplane and wanted to screw it in. I found that the rubber feet on the router popped out, and I was able to drill a small hole through the feet, mount the feet to the plywood backplane with some screws and then just pop the router back onto all four feet simulaneously (use a sharpie to mark the location of the feet on the backplane prior to popping off the router). You might also be able to open up the router housing. I did this to my 10/100 switch and drilled some holes from the inside to mount across the stud bay as you see in the pics.

Robert

·
Registered
771 Posts
What I like to do is use two zip ties that have a hole on the end-connected together. This makes one strap. I make two of these straps and screw the holes into the panel with sheet metal screws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.