AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the (online) manual for the Sharp 10000U that I just ordered, and noticed something about the image throw (this is the line for my case) that I do not understand. There is a section "distance from the lens center to the lower edge of the image (z)".

For my planned 92" screen, the "Upper Distance" is 0, and the "Lower Distance" is -3'9" (-114cm).

What does this mean? For a non-ceiling mount, the lens cannot be higher than the bottom of the screen, and cannot be lower than 3'9" below the bottom of the screen?

I was hoping to mount the PJ so that its lens was more centered on the screen, then use lens shift to move it down. The idea was for it to sit on the top of an A/V rack, possibly on a shelf on the back wall, since I cannot ceiling mount. Is this going to be possible or will i have to put it in a cabinet on the ground and project upwards?

My other alternative is to make my own mount. Suspend a shelf on the wall and hang the sharp inverted under it (but I am worried about its stability).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gig103,

I understand the level of the lense center of the Sharp has to be within the upper and the lower edge of the projected image. The optical lense shift allows you to move the pic up and down between "lense = bottom of screen" and "lense = top of screen", or the other way round if ceiling mounted. There is no offset unless you tilt the projector and use digital keystone correction.

The "Lower Distance" of 3'9" (114cm) that you mentioned is the height of your 92" 16:9 screen.

So you will be just fine in your setup with the projector placed centered on the screen.

--

Aleph

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, Aleph, I just gave a big sigh of relief.

Will my screen (HCCV) have hotspotting issues though with me keeping the lens close to the center + lens shift??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Everyone ends up scratching their heads after trying to figure out that part of the Sharp 10K manual. Aleph is right, though; keep the lens between the top and bottom edges of your screen and make adjustments with the Sharp's physical lens shift.

Hot-spotting shouldn't be any more of a problem with this location than any other location. For screens like the HCCV or the Firehawk, that have some gain and are designed to reject incident (from the sides) light, the Sharp's setup is sweet. Those screens will "fire" the Sharp's image right back to the viewers.

The long throw of the Sharp's lens actually helps minimize brightness falloff toward the edges of the screen, because the distance to the edge of the screen is only a small percentage different than the distance to the center of the screen.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Yep, and this has been discussed at length in several different threads. Bottom line as stated above is that the lens must be somewhere between the top of the viewable area of the screen and the bottom of the viewable area of the screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.