AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 16:9 screen that is about 9' wide and 5' tall. I'm redoing it with Sintra and MaxxMudd LL.

It turns out that a 10' x 5' piece of Sintra is an excellent match! I was pleasantly surprised when I found out this 10' x 5' size was available.

I've got a question about mounting the Sintra on the wall. Below is a quick drawing I made.

The black area + the blue area is the 10' x 5' sintra. The blue are is the 16:9 screen area.

I want to get every last inch of height from the Sintra, so I don't want to put any screws on the top of bottom or the material. I'm thinking about using 3 screws on each side as shown in yellow. What do people think about this approach?

(The wall behind the sintra is actually wooden paneling, not drywall --- for what it's worth)

I figure I can have any trim on the top or bottom just touching the Sintra (or if needed, just overlap by 1/16" or 1/8"). Also, I probably wouldn't keep 6" on each side of the screen for the screws... but I didn't want to complicate the picture.

Thanks!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,160 Posts
Now don't get "Mad"

It is advisable to attach the center of the Sintra to the wall using a Flexible, Adhesive Caulk. You don't need to lather it on.....a few low-profile squiggly lines will do. But what that little step will do is prevent the center from bowing out even just a little bit. Otherwise, the bulk of the support can come from the side attachments.

All the above is contingent on the use of 6mm Sintra. If your contemplating the use of 3mm, then you'll need to apply more beads, and spread them further to each side as well.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

2 quick questions

1) Am I right that Sintra is good at accepting paint? Is there any need to put a duster of KillZ 2 on it?

2) How easy is it to cut Sintra? With a straight edge and a couple of slices, can I "easily" cut it?

... Altan

·
Registered
144 Posts
You don't need to prime sintra. It will take paint as well as most surfaces, and better than some that are also used as the substrate for a screen.

I don't have any direct experience cutting sintra. Every time I have needed a sheet I asked the shop I got it from to cut it for me. Having said that, Sintra is pretty tough, I don't think "a couple of slices" will do the trick. If you are going to cut it yourself my WAG is that you will need a circular saw with a fine (paneling, trim cutting) blade to cut it cleanly.

If you don't already have it, I would highly recommend having the shop you are getting it from cut it for you. If they won't or can't do it, see if you can find a local sign shop to cut it. The last time I bought Sintra, I bought it from a sign shop (who cut it) because they could get if for me without charging me an arm and a leg for the shipping. A different sign shop also cut the acrylic mirror that I used on my newest screen.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,160 Posts
Sintra does cut super easily. You could deeply score it with a heavy duty Utility Blade and a straight edge, and snap it, but as suggested, almost every location where you'll find it also will do the one cut needed for N/C.

Using a Skill Saw with a "Paneling Blade" (120 tooth) , you'll want to cut on the opposite side of the side used for the screen surface to avoid potentially scratching that surface.

And BTW, Sintra is used extensively as Sign Board, so is designed to accept all types of paint directly. Only the need to cover any rub marks or blemishes or such would require any Priming.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I picked up my 10' x 5' 6mm white sintra today. I didn't have them cut it because they have a 3 day backlog on cutting.

I'll probably just mount the entire thing. It has 6" of extra space on the left and right, but I have velvetish curtains that will cover it.

So here is my plan

1) Mount sintra using screws and adhesive caulk
a) I'm going to put a board on the bottom to rest the screen on
b) I'll put adhesive caulk on the sintra and put it up on the wall, resting on this board
c) Then I'll put the 3 screws in on the left and right sides per my original image

2) Before painting, I should clean the sintra --- What do you recommend? 70% Isopropyl alcohol?

3) Mix up the MaxxMudd LL

4) Spray 4 duster coats (approx.) --- I've gotten good at this because my last 2 screen attempts failed

5) Worry about doing trim and "finishing" later

6) Enjoy!

Sound good?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Step #1 (with 1a, 1b and 1c) has been completed successfully... Sintra is mounted on the wall.

Will move to complete the remaining steps tomorrow.

Any comments on cleaning / wiping down the sintra are appreciated.

Tomorrow I spray the MaxxMudd LL with no primer as I've been told this is fine for Sintra.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy to say no magic eraser was needed...

Got the first coat duster on... will check it in about an hour (4:15).

Perhaps it's the smooth surface, but I noticed more water droplets on the material after spraying than I thought I saw before. I expect they will evaporate... I always put a fan on the screen when drying.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st @ 3:15

2nd @ 4:15

3rd @ 5:15

4th @ 6:15

5th @ 7:15

Just finished the 5th duster. I'm thinking I'll put one more duster on (for a total of 6), but I'll make that decision in an hour when this coat is dry.

Looking good!

My previous two failed attempts (long story, but in short: 1st failure was because I sprayed too think and got a texture, 2nd failure had good spraying but my substrate had patterns in it that only appeared when illuminated by the projector --- even after 6 coats of KillZ2).

Looking at it positively, that gave me good practice for what will be the final screen with excellent quality.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Done! Just finished cleaning the sprayer.

I did two more coats... 6th at 8:15 and 7th at 9:15. I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Did a quick test projection at 10:30 and it looked great!

I think I read once that after the polycrylic cures, the image is even better. Yes?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers  /t/1415326/mounting-sintra-10-x-5-piece#post_22139971

I think I read once that after the polycrylic cures, the image is even better. Yes?

Yes....and that goes for the paint elements as well.

Total improvement is obtained 2-3 weeks going forward.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great to hear that curing makes it even better.

Big thanks to MississippiMan and pb_maxxx for their mixtures and screen building tips!

I watched about 15 minutes of video in my still in shambles theater (from the screen building), no audio hooked up, and it's looking amazing!

The similarity between the Stewart StudioTek 130 and the MaxxMudd LL is striking! I may be in the honeymoon phase, but as for now I'll say MaxxMudd LL can achieve results quite similar to a ST130 screen costing > 10x as much!

(I have a sample of ST130 which is the material I really wanted but didn't want to pay the $$$)

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers  /t/1415326/mounting-sintra-10-x-5-piece#post_22141602

Great to hear that curing makes it even better.

Big thanks to MississippiMan and pb_maxxx for their mixtures and screen building tips!

I watched about 15 minutes of video in my still in shambles theater (from the screen building), no audio hooked up, and it's looking amazing!

The similarity between the Stewart StudioTek 130 and the MaxxMudd LL is striking! I may be in the honeymoon phase, but as for know I'll say MaxxMudd LL can achieve results quite similar to a ST130 screen costing > 10x as much!

(I have a sample of ST130 which is the material I really wanted but didn't want to pay the $$$)

Both surfaces are measured at 1.3 gain, but the small amount of Silver in RS-MM is the deciding factor that give it an extra edge as far as being both a bright surface AND helping to enhance Contrast.. Those extra dynamics are what helps the Mix / Screen overachieve like it does.

Better still...with the amount of money saved vs spending for a ST130, you can traipse off to Maui and join me for some Surfing and Crab Diving (Re-Breather assisted). Sept 22nd thru Oct 3rd. A done deal for me, I'll be detoxing before a major Home Show that runs between Oct 6th and the 28th. I'll be on my feet 10 hours a day for 3 weekends and 2 full weeks. So Maui sounds like a perfect place to put off even thinking about talking to 35K people.

Pretty soon I'll be painting SF 5.0 on 2 - Focupix 106" Tab Tensioned Screens for that event, so stay tuned for the upcoming Tutorial.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finished "trimming" my screen this weekend. Looks very professional. It has the home depot MDF trim suggested by MississippiMan wrapped in velvet with miter cuts. Above the screen all the way to the ceiling is black velvet. Similarly, below the screen all the way to the floor is black velvet. Finally, on both sides of the screen (touching the left and right trim) are velvet curtains that are "wrinkled" (or more like have a semi-circle look). I know you cannot really judge a screen or even the trim of a screen by a picture, especially in the dark, but I took a couple just to share.

(Pictures from the Timescapes Bluray)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1415326/mounting-sintra-10-x-5-piece#post_22143667

Better still...with the amount of money saved vs spending for a ST130, you can traipse off to Maui and join me for some Surfing and Crab Diving (Re-Breather assisted)

Great idea! But I may just be enjoying my home theater

1 - 18 of 18 Posts