AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like everyones advice on wall mounting speakers without a stud. The speakers will be installed in a typical 5.1 setup, ie fronts, center and surrounds. Sub will go on the floor. The problem is there are not studs in the exact location I want to hang them. Some details on the speakers:

they are Definitive Procinema 800.

the fronts / surrounds are 4 lbs a piece

the center is 6 lbs.

Has anyone mounted speakers that heavy without a stud? Is it a bad idea?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mounting anything to a wall without hitting a stud is always a risk. You could:

1) look into getting some heavy duty wall anchors from home depot or Lowes

Or

2) get a floating shelf that mounts across two studs and set the speaker on that

Personally, I would go with number 2

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You could also just get a nice finished board (or finish it yourself; you could also use a heavy shelf board) to span a couple of studs, then mount the speaker to that. That is, a board flat on the wall, screwed into studs near each end, then mount the speaker to the board.

·
Registered
784 Posts
There are wall anchors rated at 100lbs. I have a heavy mirror hung with them and a smallish wall mounted stereo mounted with smaller anchors and I haven't had any problems. Look up Molly Anchors on YouTube to see how they work. The shelf setup is also a good idea though.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Ooops, missed the weight... I have seen plenty of heavy/larger speakers split and eventually break drywall around the mounts, even the heavy mounting units, but light speakers are probably fine with the heavy-duty drywall mounts. It's not usually the weight over time, it's the vibration from the cabinet that causes problems, at least IME.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.