AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Infocus ceiling mount and now that I got it I remembered that I had not checked if there was a stud where I was going to hang it.

Question: Will drywall be able to support the weight if the X1 and the ceiling mount?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SanchezGZ
I bought the Infocus ceiling mount and now that I got it I remembered that I had not checked if there was a stud where I was going to hang it.

Question: Will drywall be able to support the weight if the X1 and the ceiling mount?
Maybe. IMO, a better solution would be to get a 1x6, route a decorative edge around the edges, paint it the same color as the ceiling, and fasten it across two ceiling joists. THEN mount the bracket to the wood.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I had the same issue with my X1 DIY mount. To attach the mount to the ceiling I used those spring loaded fasteners that open up behind the drywall. I'm sure it will take many times the weight of the projector, as the drywall would have to be pulled down before it would let go. The only problem is that if you want to take the mount down, the spring loaded expanding part will have to remain on the other side of the drywall, and you would need to attach a new one to remount. I thought about doing what the previous poster suggested, but decided against it based on aesthetics.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you referring to toggle bolts? That's what I was thinking of using, but I wasn't sure if the drywall would hold the weight.

Will bass affect it being secured to just the drywall, i.e. vibrations working on the strength of the drywall Vs. the weight of the mount and pj.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used butterfly bolts (known by various names - such as toggle bottles) - each one was rated for 10 pounds, so I have a total of 30 pounds worth of bolts holding a projector that weighs 7 pounds. I did do one thing (paranoia), I ensured that I straddled a joist, so the unit is not hanging in the middle between two joints - that would be the weakest point and may make your ceiling sagg.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I am going to put a brace between the two joists, simply because the sweet spots happens to be right under it. Now if there was going to be anyone else besides me sitting under then hey, it only weighs 7 pounds it can't hurt that bad ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
You might be able to jigger up something with one of those ceiling fan mounts. They have some that can go through a hole inside your room and expand to form a brace between studs. Prolly Home Depot, Lowes, or similar places have them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the exact same situation. Started building my theater only to find that the rafters in the ceiling ran lenthwise rather than side to side. So, I came up with a solution when I made my ceiling mount:

http://members.cox.net/datz510/diy_mount_7.JPG

I spanned the two 16" rafters with an 18" box steel beam and bolted the it up with some heavy duty 3/8" lag bolts.

I know it may not be everyone's style, but I like the look of steel... so I'm going to run beams off the sides of this and incorporate them into a truss-like fixture, which will resemble the scafolds used for stage lighting. I figure it would be a unique addition for a theater. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Relax guys, the post about toggle bolts is accurate. 2 to 4 toggle bolts will hang a Projector without ANY fear of it falling. Studs nearby or no.

Chris

been there done that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.