AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What;s the best option to get mouse control with a remote control? For instance, I have Girder controlling some aspects of AccessDTV for me, so that when the app is in full screen I can FF, REW, Pause, etc. So, once I'm in full screen viewing a program it is easy to use typical functions. I can also switch in and out of full screen with the remote.

However, there are functions like picking a file to play, or navigating the TITANTV web page to watch or schedule a recording that are better with a mouse. Trying to build Girder commands to navigate all of that seems like a waste of time. I'd also like to make this easy for my wife to use, so teaching her to use the remote for some things and switching to the Logitech wireless mouse for other things will be a PITA.

So, does anyone know of a good way to do this? I was hoping someone knew of a universal remote that had control of the mouse built right in it (i.e. buttons that would work with Girder, but mouse functionality that would work as a normal Windowws mouse).

I'm thinking I can also get mouse control with Girder. I was pondering getting a remote with a "joystick" like this Sony:

http://www.smarthome.com/8037.html

Then I could program Girder to move the mouse cursor around on the screen based on IR Commands from the remote joystick. I don't know how easy and smooth the mouse movement would be for the wifey. It appears that there are pre-programmed Girder export groups I could download and use.

Any opinions on options to accomplishing this? Success stories? Failures?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx. did a quick search on this in the forum and elsewhere and it looks like it might be the ticket.

Any other opinons?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would use the Girder plugin for the Mouse Remote. I have the Mouse Remote and was using Max10 but just switched to Girder and love it, it has much more functionality.

Check out this thread to set it up:
http://www.girder.nl/phpBB2/viewtopi...ighlight=max10

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigbadboris
(video senders/receivers are great too)
Unless you or your neighbor owns a microwave oven. :( I wish they'd make a spread-spectrum version that doesn't suffer from interference.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you can handle having a second device for the mouse (I dont like that too much) then the gyromotion mouse is pretty damn cool... Hold it in the air like a laser pointer or put it on the desk like a cordless mouse.. Good range... Nice product...

If you have a Pronto you can still pick up the Pronto IR keyboard that allows the pronto to become a 'touchpad' mouse... While not being perfect it does work... I have my system down to 99% push button control (dont have any TV guides for my location and dont navigate playlists on the hard drive) when the HTPC is in 'normal use mode' it is MainLobby and girder controled for everything... Its only an unexpected error box or pop up that need closing it is doable with the Pronto still via mouse mode... For tweaking or going online I use the keyboard and its IR mouse... For gaming I have USB PSX converters and I use a USB keyboard depending on the style of game...

Give the Girder 'mouseplug ins' a go... They are not the most elegant things in the world but a 4 way cursor (with hold generating larger pixel jumps than single press) worked roughly for me for a while... Getting Girder to learn non native IR joysticks etc will probably only give you the same basic IR input to fixed pixel jumps solution...

Many projectors have an IR mouse built into thier controller (via USB or whetever) not knowing your display you may already have an unused mouse solution that you are missing...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.