AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my very slow project is to the point where I'm picking colors and it seems would be a sin not to use the #1 recommendation Mouse Ears black for ceiling and front wall. Have 3 question for those that have used it please

1. Did you use the suggested tinted primer?

2. How many coats did you end up using before it looked uniform and complete?

3. What seen did you use? (feel free to post pix!) Actually, please do if you can, thanks!

Guy at the local HD said be prepared for a little frustration and more coats than I might expect? What do you say?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used the Glidden Gripper grey primer underneath. Very good, only worthwhile glidden product. I used mouse ears in Flat on my Ceiling and screen wall. It is very flat, and basically the walls just seem to disappear. Unless you have a lot of light, I only needed 1 coat ! However, if you touch it or scratch it - prepare to start repainting. It is quite easily marked. After all the lights and everything else is done I will put on one last coat. Will post a pick tomorrow if no one has.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I used tricorn black from sherwin williams. The blackest of theirs I saw. I used the recommended primer and did 2 coats for peace of mind

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
Here are some photos.

I needed to do more than three coats because someone sweeped the floor while I was painting. I don't clean the walls, I repaint them. There must be at least a half dozen coats on as it is today and there will always be more touch up as I continue on the room. I recently had to get it color matched because the name was no longer available. Turned out fine.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I used Behr baluga(?) with the base which includes a primer already.

·
Registered
862 Posts
No primer, 1 coat of mouse ears w/ eggshell finish.

Pics:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I too used the Glidden Gripper primer. (1 coat) and Two coats of the Mickey Mouse Ear Flat Black on my ceiling, soffits and screen wall. I only put two coats on the ceiling from just behind projector, forward. (You can only see the difference when using the flash on my camera. Noway can you tell by just the lighting in the room.) However, I did go with Bher's Flat Enamel for the walls, and it's scrubable. (Unlike the Flat) My 2 cents - I'd go with the Flat Enamel Mouse Ear. My two year old has banged the walls plenty with toys and I have no marks, and the light reflection's pretty low too. (The third picture you can see my sconces reflection on the walls, and they're not dimmed.)

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I just tested some paint colors the other day and bought a quart of several different ones. Personally I hated the mouse ears black because of the dusty appearance it had and it showed every little mark on it. I ended up choosing a factory premixed color by Benjamin Moore called "Black". I really like how it looked on my test wall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts