AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that the "special" price @ 40% off ends today. I'm going to install the trial and give it a shot first.
http://www.movavi.com/videoconverter3d/

Quote:


Movavi Video Converter 3D retrieves the lost world of star-studded DVD blockbusters and homemade videos alike. Download Video Converter 3D now!

Automatic conversion from 2D to 3D.

Instant preview of 3D output.

HD-video ready.

Support of polarization glasses, shutter technology (NVIDIA), and anaglyph 3D glasses.

Support of 3D TVs, NVIDIA 3D Vision Glasses Kit, and 120 Hz displays.

Ready-made predefined settings for various devices and the web (iPad, YouTube, PlayStation PS3, Xbox 360 etc).

Batch file processing.

Automatic brightness feature.

3D depth and shift effect adjustment.

CPU acceleration on 2010 Intel Core processors.

GPU acceleration with NVIDIA CUDA (encoding only).


3D movies are breathtaking. Revolutionary. And expensive. 3D movies and camcorders are way beyond most people's budgets. Instead, grab Movavi Video Converter 3D and turn 2D to striking 3D without breaking the bank. Convert all-new 2D movies and home videos to 3D in just a couple of clicks - you'll enjoy great savings as well as high-quality 3D videos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went ahead and purchased a license. I think it was worth $50. When I was testing the trial, I was testing the 'wrong' type of files and at the time, I didn't think the 2D/3D converted file was any better than the 2D/3D converter that is built into PDVD10 and TMT5 - however, after I found a few 720p HD files, my opinion did a 180 and I ended up purchasing so I could continue converting files without the watermark. I was testing FLV files I downloaded off Youtube. Some where 'ok' but the others were terrible. The FLV still looked horrible even after I converted them to .avi and then ran it through Movavi. From now on I will only convert high quality videos not resolutions of 240 or 480 (what was I thinking.)


What I really like about this program/converted file vs the built in 2D/3D converter that is built into the stereoscopic players is that the video is no longer "squeezed" - meaning, if you've ever viewed a DVD, .avi, etc through PDVD10, TMT5 or any other stereoscopic player and the original file is 16:9 - you'll see black bars on the side of the movie and they get bigger the more you try to adjust the depth - some files/movies I viewed looked almost 4:3 - but so far what I converted with Movavi the files look just as good as any of my 3DBD movies and a lot better than the Imax 3D movies i've seen (Under The Sea 3D and Space Station) and fill the screen top, bottom and sides
.


But you be the judge and let me know what you think. Below is a link to my 4Shared 3D folder. I'll be uploading my videos for you guys to check out. These videos are .avi 1280 x 720 side by side. ** The video preview is now working on most of the videos **

http://www.4shared.com/dir/E6a1byv_/3Dsharing.html


Check back occassionally as I'm in the process of converting several more files I found from Vimeo and NASA and I'll be uploading them as they complete. I'll also put the link in my signature. Enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
I just purchased and input my key, and it seemed to accept it, but I'm still stuck in 30 day trial. I've sent an e-mail and am anxiously waiting a reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two /forum/post/20040155


I just purchased and input my key, and it seemed to accept it, but I'm still stuck in 30 day trial. I've sent an e-mail and am anxiously waiting a reply.

I thought that, too, but I exited and also rebooted and it seemed to be ok after that. Fully registered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord /forum/post/20038062


I went ahead and purchased a license. I think it was worth $50. When I was testing the trial, I was testing the 'wrong' type of files and at the time, I didn't think the 2D/3D converted file was any better than the 2D/3D converter that is built into PDVD10 and TMT5 - however, after I found a few 720p HD files, my opinion did a 180 and I ended up purchasing so I could continue converting files without the watermark. I was testing FLV files I downloaded off Youtube. Some where 'ok' but the others were terrible. The FLV still looked horrible even after I converted them to .avi and then ran it through Movavi. From now on I will only convert high quality videos not resolutions of 240 or 480 (what was I thinking.)


What I really like about this program/converted file vs the built in 2D/3D converter that is built into the stereoscopic players is that the video is no longer "squeezed" - meaning, if you've ever viewed a DVD, .avi, etc through PDVD10, TMT5 or any other stereoscopic player and the original file is 16:9 - you'll see black bars on the side of the movie and they get bigger the more you try to adjust the depth - some files/movies I viewed looked almost 4:3 - but so far what I converted with Movavi the files look just as good as any of my 3DBD movies and a lot better than the Imax 3D movies i've seen (Under The Sea 3D and Space Station) and fill the screen top, bottom and sides
.


But you be the judge and let me know what you think. Below is a link to my 4Shared 3D folder. I'll be uploading my videos for you guys to check out. These videos are .avi 1280 x 720 side by side. ** The video preview is now working on most of the videos **

http://www.4shared.com/dir/E6a1byv_/3Dsharing.html


Check back occassionally as I'm in the process of converting several more files I found from Vimeo and NASA and I'll be uploading them as they complete. I'll also put the link in my signature. Enjoy.

I also downloaded the trial version of Movavi 3D, but my trials haven't been successful. All converted 3D videos were squashed, i.e., the images are compressed vertically. I tried to use option "resize method" in the setting windows. But the result were NO good. It appears that default resize method was letterbox, which, I think, added a letterbox over the picture frame, thus compressing the original image vertically.


I should note that all my videos were standard definition video clips (4:3). I also tried widescreen (6:9) standard definition video clips. The results were the same.


Could you elaborate how you did the conversion? What settings did you use? Did you have "compressed" image problem? What option did you choose for the output video? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,037 Posts
What a waste of money. You can do this FOR FREE using StereoMovie Maker.


Those sample videos can be replicated by putting two copies of the same video side-by-side, panning, and advancing one copy a few frames ahead of the other.


The only thing you can't do in StereoMovie Maker is automatically detect cuts. Since one side is a few frames ahead of the other, one will cut to a different shot while the other's still on the last shot. This software apparently detects the cut and makes sure both videos cut to the next shot at the same frame, likely by skipping frames in the trailing video. --scratch that, it actually pauses the leading video (making it look like it's stuttering a bit)


You will get a lot of novices praising you because they think anything's 3D if you tell them it is. But that's all the compliments you'll get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Could you elaborate how you did the conversion? What settings did you use? Did you have "compressed" image problem? What option did you choose for the output video? Thanks.

I'm not in front of my computer but I recall in the option setting (you are already there if you're able to select the output format) instead of selecting 4:3, 16:9, etc. Over to the left side is a check box to keep it the same as the original.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo /forum/post/0


What a waste of money. You can do this FOR FREE using StereoMovie Maker.


Those sample videos can be replicated by putting two copies of the same video side-by-side, panning, and advancing one copy a few frames ahead of the other.


The only thing you can't do in StereoMovie Maker is automatically detect cuts. Since one side is a few frames ahead of the other, one will cut to a different shot while the other's still on the last shot. This software apparently detects the cut and makes sure both videos cut to the next shot at the same frame, likely by skipping frames in the trailing video. --scratch that, it actually pauses the leading video (making it look like it's stuttering a bit)


You will get a lot of novices praising you because they think anything's 3D if you tell them it is. But that's all the compliments you'll get.

Hey cakefoo thanks for the constructive criticism. This technic you're referring to sounds interesting. Why don't you create a few samples and post them here? Id love to see what you can do. I mean you seem to have no respect to the many hours it took me to convert and patiently upload these files so if you got a better method that can provide better results I for one would love to see it. Don't forget, I am a novice, so if and when i got praise, i for one would appreciate it. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord /forum/post/20064637


Hey cakefoo thanks for the constructive criticism. This technic you're referring to sounds interesting. Why don't you create a few samples and post them here? Id love to see what you can do. I mean you seem to have no respect to the many hours it took me to convert and patiently upload these files so if you got a better method that can provide better results I for one would love to see it. Don't forget, I am a novice, so if and when i got praise, i for one would appreciate it. Thank you.

I have tons of respect for you and your efforts. But I am also going to be protective when I sense a ripoff. I am here to educate you and others in case people are not aware of what is happening under the smoke and mirrors of this software.


Timeshifting can be a valid technique, but the camera has to be moving sideways, (or you have to be filming something like a carousel), otherwise you just get two out of sync images that flicker. To me it's incredibly upsetting that a company would try to pretend that it can work with all content. It just doesn't.


Here is a clip I created, showing how the results look when the source is filmed the right way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4YAXuEuiY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Our brains are very good at inferring 3D depth when a scene is rotating like that. There are forms of 3D that rely purely on rotational latency, like the NuOptix system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG_fmhl0JtI


To see the 3D effect in that video you must hold something dark over your right eye (only) a lens from a pair or dark sunglasses should work, note that it is NOT a stereoscopic video, your brain is creating the depth using something called the Pulfrich effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulfrich_effect


It's a neat trick but obviously has very limited applications.



When it comes to 3D conversion there sure are a lot of haters out there..



There are probably several reasons for this. Purists will only ever except true stereoscopic content (shot with two cameras), and it's true that when 2D conversions are done badly (think Titans) they give the whole of 3D a bad name, and potentially hurt 3D adoption by a sceptical public. You can understand the cynicism with Hollywood studios seeing it as another opportunity to generate more revenue from their back-catalogue it will be very tempting for them to cut-corners, and then there's the whole argument about viewing what the director originally intended, but let's not get into that


I think everyone accepts that professional grade 3D conversion requires a lot of skill and a great deal of time do properly, this will inevitably cause resentment of auto-conversion systems by certain people, but to jump on anyone who even dares to experiment with consumer conversion tools and label them a purveyors of fake 3D is just ridiculous. The best way for people to learn about the value of stereoscopic 3D is to compare it with the alternatives available to them, to compare a stereoscopic video, a professionally converted video, and an auto-converted video, learning to see the differences for themselves, and then hopefully sharing their experiences with others, surely that's what these forums are all about?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick [D]vB /forum/post/20067582


I think everyone accepts that professional grade 3D conversion requires a lot of skill and a great deal of time do “properly”, this will inevitably cause resentment of auto-conversion systems by certain people, but to jump on anyone who even dares to experiment with consumer conversion tools and label them a purveyors of “fake 3D” is just ridiculous.

3D is about showing 2 unique, horizontally offset angles of a single scene, creating horizontal parallax. All Movavi does is a variation of the Pulfrich/timeshifted effect, but they don't have the decency to inform the users that they need to film in a very, very specific manner for their software to work, instead they let them swallow the placebo.

Quote:
The best way for people to learn about the value of stereoscopic 3D is to compare it with the alternatives available to them, to compare a stereoscopic video, a professionally converted video, and an auto-converted video

And the best way for people to learn about what makes Movavi a poor value and a scam is to compare proper time-shifted 3D filmed with a horizontally strafing camera and edited in a free program:


versus misused time-shifting using a $50 application, Movavi:


You can easily see that all Movavi did was delay the playback on one side. It's impossible to put these images together in our brains because they aren't similar enough. The woman's looking in two different places, there's fire coming out of the guy's mouth in one eye and not the other, and the deer's head is in a completely different position. All you can see is a headache-inducing flicker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
That's a great example of what to look out for, thank you for proving my point! My comments were not directed at you specifically, and I never said Movavi is perfect, simply that people should be able to experiment with it and share their findings without being attacked for doing so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Guys, its bogus! They are doing some variation of the time-shift method, basically just offsetting one eye by a single frame. I made a video tutorial of how to do this manually, it might help some of you understand how this works (sorry about the audio):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSlQs3IdWJA


This Movavi program is a scam, just like all the other automagical 2d-to-3d applications. Even Hollywood movies, with teams of dozens of artists working full-time for months, can barely convert a movie to 3D with decent results. And you think a $50 program can do this automatically? Yeah, right!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Need HELP,

Every movie I convert to stereo 3D comes out in wide screen format. how do I convert to

full screen? I've tried everything I can think of. Can any user give me a step by step conversion help list detailing the conversion from AVI to 3D Stereo in Full Screen. THANKS!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartin370 /forum/post/20624353


Need HELP,

Every movie I convert to stereo 3D comes out in wide screen format. how do I convert to

full screen? I've tried everything I can think of. Can any user give me a step by step conversion help list detailing the conversion from AVI to 3D Stereo in Full Screen. THANKS!!!!!!!!
Click the settings button:



Then select Resize Method:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucew0617  /t/1316637/movavi-2d-to-3d-video-converter#post_22325733


Bad looking doesn't mean bad performance. But the 3D quality is really great?
No it looks horrible. All it does is put the left and right image a frame or two out of sync, which once in a great while accidentally produces a 3D image. It's known as the Pulfrich effect and it ONLY works if you follow the rules, which means like 5% of a movie's runtime will have a 3D look, while the rest of the time it will have an annoying, headache-inducing flicker due to your left and right eye seeing two completely different actions:



It's a scam and it should be avoided at all costs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
while the rest of the time it will have an annoying, headache-inducing flicker due to your left and right eye seeing two completely different actions:
So this means no settings for 3D Depth, 3D Shift and Perspective will correct this? I was just about to ask if there are optimal settings because the resulting movies I have converted are like this.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top