AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is therre any way to move the PIP around in the picture screen....the PIP is in the bottom right corner, right where the ball game scores are placed on the big picture so the PIP covers it up....can you drag and drop it someplace else?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sounds like you don't have the Sony UTV receiver (comes with a keyboard).

With the Sony Webtv keyboard, you can press the "Move PIP" button to move the PIP window from lower right to lower left. Works even with 3.5.

Using it now to un-block the score for the LA/Sacramento BB game.

SteveK

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, I ahve the RCA UTV....wonder if they will fix this in 3.6? How often does a new dl come out?

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can move the PIP from the lower right to the lower left (and back) by typing -M on the keyboard. This works on both the RCA and Sony boxes. stands for the Command key (not the Ctrl or control key) on either the Sony or RCA keyboard. If you have an old WebTV keyboard it will work with that also.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Prior to 3.5 the key on the Sony Remote moved the PIP window. This was broken in 3.5 and Microsoft decided not to fix it.

Anyone know why?

michael

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well that sux, only if you have the keyboard will you be able to move the PIP? correct?

bummer

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you have a learning remote or one of the various remotes that allow downloading commands from a PC, then you can program this function into your remote.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chain
well that sux, only if you have the keyboard will you be able to move the PIP? correct? bummer
Well, even with the keyboard it is just one step up from "sux". You can only move the PIP from the bottom right to the bottom left, then back again. No ability to move the PIP to the top or to resize the PIP window. Very limited functionality.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've been screaming for the move/resize pip window enhancement ever since I got UTV ages ago. Going from watching split screen pip on my Mits 55" with cable to that dinky pip window really blows. Pleeeeaaaasse add this in the next release.

-NJJ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I second that...the PIP really sux right now!!! And not only that but it covers up my BB score, and that really sux!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got a panny 47 inch and it has the split screen, that I can't use because of the UTV!!! It's almost enough to can DTV and go cable

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well that's a shame you feel this way since basically, any time a STB is involved (sat, d cable or hdtv) you can't use the tv's "neat" features. That's why I wish that they sold "monitor" tvs to people. I have a 57" sony and I don't use any of it's features aside from displaying the actual picture. I wonder how much cheaper the set would be if it had no sound processing, speakers, tuners or anything besides just displaying the image.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Currently you can't get PIP of any sort on any other satellite box. I agree that the UltimateTV PIP is pretty minimal but perhaps they can improve it in the future. Give them feedback via email ([email protected] or [email protected] .)

If your TV supports split screen PIP why don't you just get a second UltimateTV (or standard DirecTV box) for cheap and feed the second input to your TV. The RCA box would work well for this since the RCA remote can control two RCA UltimateTVs in the same room. Or, the second input could be terrestrial broadcast TV from a separate antenna.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UTV
... If your TV supports split screen PIP why don't you just get a second UltimateTV (or standard DirecTV box) for cheap and feed the second input to your TV. ...
I do this from time to time (with OTA) but it's kind of a hassle with the remotes. I don't even have batteries in my (RCA) TV remote because, as Jim Coates noted, it is just a monitor for the rest of the AV equipment. And also because the RCA UTV remote does a fine job of controlling just about everything on the TV ... except the PIP.

My PIP wish list (for UTV 4.0):

o Move PIP window to any location using up/down arrows

o 2-sizes of PIP windows

o Allow sound to be switched between main/PIP window

o Allow independent channel change of both main/PIP window

-TJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TexasJames
o Allow sound to be switched between main/PIP window

o Allow independent channel change of both main/PIP window
Maybe I'm not understanding you, but UTV can do this now. If I put the focus around the PIP window, I hear the sound from it. If I take the focus off the PIP window, then I hear sound from the main window.

Similarly, if I place the focus on the PIP window and press the "change control" button on the remote, I can change the channel on the PIP window.

Also, if I put the focus on the PIP window and press OK on the remote, then the channels in the main and PIP windows are swapped.

I have found this feature to be useful when I know something is coming up on one news channel, but want to watch something else in the meantime. I'll use PIP to keep a buffer on the channel where I'm waiting for something. If I don't catch the event right away, I can rewind through the buffer to watch it from the beginning, swapping it with whatever I was watching in the main window.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Totally, what I use pip for, to get 2 buffers going. I never actually "watch" both at the same time, I just buffer one part of one show until I am done watchign what's in the other window. usually the pip window is "paused"

·
Registered
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zarkov

Maybe I'm not understanding you.....

if I place the focus on the PIP window and press the "change control" button on the remote, I can change the channel on the PIP window.

Zarkov,

This has been discussed before. TJ wants to be able to surf channels in PIPI with audio staying on the main screen. Currently you need to give focus to PIP (which activates audio for the PIP window) before you can change the channel. Nice to have but not a need to have in my book.

-NJJ

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would like to see it put up both pictures, equal on the screen and side by side, with grey borders on top and bottom, for those of us with the big screens. So, if you had a 54" TV (4:3), you would get 2 x 27" pictures. You could also fit in a third (watch a previously recorded and the 2 tuners) or a 4th (with WebTV).

Keith

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.