AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We have a 32" Sony Bravia HD LCD with an HD Tivo. Had the two paired together in living room attached to DirecTV dish. Looked great, no problems. Got a new larger Sony HD LCD to replace it, and moved the 32" up to bedroom, which replaced an old Sony CRT. Hooked up the 32" HD Sony TV & HD Tivo to existing DirecTV cables upstairs, using same dish, but can't get HD. What am I missing?

Thanks so much for the help!

-Michelle

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu66 /forum/post/15560112

Hi,

We have a 32" Sony Bravia HD LCD with an HD Tivo. Had the two paired together in living room attached to DirecTV dish. Looked great, no problems. Got a new larger Sony HD LCD to replace it, and moved the 32" up to bedroom, which replaced an old Sony CRT. Hooked up the 32" HD Sony TV & HD Tivo to existing DirecTV cables upstairs, using same dish, but can't get HD. What am I missing?

-Michelle

I think you need an equipment upgrade from Directv

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have the HR-21 on the downstairs tv and it's been nothing but trouble. We're on our 5th one. This is why I wanted to stick with the HD Tivo upstairs. I don't understand why I'd need an equipment upgrade when this pair worked downstairs just fine. Why would merely changing it's room location lose the HD?

Thanks,

Michelle

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu66 /forum/post/15560162

We have the HR-21 on the downstairs tv and it's been nothing but trouble. We're on our 5th one. This is why I wanted to stick with the HD Tivo upstairs. I don't understand why I'd need an equipment upgrade when this pair worked downstairs just fine. Why would merely changing it's room location lose the HD?

Thanks,

Michelle

I don't get it, what kind of trouble? I have two HR21's and both perform without incident.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Searching for signal and can no longer get ANY channels. Escalated to case mgmt at DirecTV and they determined it was the receiver failing each time. Apparently these poor receivers are the reason they're partnering with Tivo again later this year. You're lucky you haven't had issues.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Almost sounds like a bad signal rather than a receiver problem. Could possibly be a cable issue. Do you have the B band connected up to the back?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I've had an HR20 for a year and a half and it has been very stable for the last year.

The HR10-250 (HD DirecTiVo) can only receive a handful of HD channels. Since the few remaining MPEG2 HD channels will be moving to MPEG4, it will only get OTA HD signals and SD satellite soon.

-Robert

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Can you confirm all the runs are going back directly to the dish or is there anything inline like a multiswitch that could be blocking your access to the 110 and 119 sats? Check the signal level on those two and see if you're getting anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're sure that all the wires go to the right input with the right settings.

It might sound a bit non-sense but sometimes signal does the main role.

I used to have this problem with my old SD tv. But .. well .. it was 9 years old.

Sorry for not being helpful,wish you will find a solution soon.

Keep posting.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu66 /forum/post/15560112

Hi,

-Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu66 /forum/post/15560162

Thanks,

Michelle

#1 Well, if you have had 5 HR-21s, you clearly did not unplug this unit downstairs and just move it upstairs. When was the last time it actually worked?

#2 Please go to the HD Tivo setup/preferences/signal strength/dish pointing of the receiver and give us the reading off these satellite/transponder

Satellite 110W(119W) Transponder 8 (Could be called 110W Transponder 28)

Satellite 110W(119W) Transponder 10 (Could be called 110W Transponder 30)

Satellite 110W(119W) Transponder 12 (Could be called 110W Transponder 32)

Satellite 119W Transponder 24

Satellite 119W Transponder 28

Satellite 119W Transponder 32

#3 When you say you cannot get HD, what exactly do you mean by that statement? You do know you need a HD cable to transfer HD from the Tivo to the HDTV, not a red, white and yellow one?

#4 Can you take the Tivo back downstairs, hook it up and get HD?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts