AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a neophyte looking for my first DLP projector. While watching some sports events on Direct TV - satallite - using a Proxima utra350 I noticed what appeared to be annoying movement artifacts; like trails or halo as the athlete moved quickly. The person demo-ing the projector said that it was at the source - the camera man. But I'm wondering if this is common with DLPs - sports on satallite with and without hdtv. Beside a heavy dose of DVD I have nfl ticket for me and nba ticket for my wife. Thanx!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've heard of motion trails as an artifact on some LCD devices, but not on DLP. I certainly saw nothing of the kind on either the Sharp 9000 or the NEC LT150. It's possible that it could have been something in the MPEG from the satellite, also. Hard to say without seeing it.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

[This message has been edited by JustMike (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
You are describing what we call the "Rainbow effect" AKA the "Halo Effect".

This is a function of the color wheel used in single chip DLPs to produce color from a white light source.

Each newer generation of DLPs minimizes this problem.

-- Cain

·
Registered
110 Posts
The newer DLP's such as the Cineversum 80 have a 6 segment color wheel which evoids to the maximum the halo effect. You have RGBRGB and not anymore only rgb like in the older ones.

Spar

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Rainbow effect is usually associated with high contrast scenes like a light on in a dark room or white titles against a black background. Sounds more like the "matrix" effect caused by the speed of the mirrors on XGA dlps. It is visible on fast motion scenes, as sort of a trail. It disappears on still images and slower moving pans.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Acutally what I think he saw was bad deinterlacing - so he saw deinterlacing artifact on fast moving objects. Most probably from his description - and a fact ha was looking at fast moving things ...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
from Barco's website (no price info though)

=======================

25 September 2001

BARCO Introduces Digital Home Theater Concept: CineVersum

BARCO Projection Systems has been a world leading manufacturer of CRT projectors for home theater integration since its establishment in the beginning of the eighties. Today, BARCO starts a new era in digital home theater, introducing its revolutionary projection and video distribution concept CineVersum. Based on an intelligent video signal switcher and processor and a state-of-the-art display system, this future-oriented concept is ready to meet the demands of every single home theater installation.

BARCO’s modular CineVersum concept features an intelligent processor, the CineVersum Master, and a high-performance display device, the CineVersum 80 or 50, which are combined with a digital link, the CineVersum XL/SL.

The BARCO CineVersum Master is the brain of the system. This fully digital 19†video signal switcher and processor can be equipped with up to 8 digital and analog inputs: Video, Component Video, RGB, SDI, HD-SDI, DVI (Panellink), FireWire, single board PC, room control, etc. This server has been developed with an eye on the future: it is able to display all sources up to 1920 x 1080 pixels and can be combined with today’s and tomorrow’s display technologies (DLPTM, PDP, LCD, LCOS, …).

Today, BARCO’s CineVersum concept is available with the CineVersum 80 and 50 display devices. The CineVersum 80 is BARCO’s new single chip DLPTM projector. Based on the specially-designed DLPTM Cinema technology of Texas Instruments, this unit delivers high-quality color images with a contrast ratio over 800:1 and a light output of 1000 ANSI lumens. Thanks to its superior design, the projector can hardly be heard??, which makes it ideal for home theater integration. The CineVersum 50 is BARCO’s high-resolution 50†plasma display. This 16:9 display provides superior brightness and incredible contrast. Its slim design allows for easy integration in every home environment.

Barco CineVersum XL / SL is the digital link for uncompressed video distribution between the Master and the display device or between different displays. This link is avalaible in two versions: the flexible SL Standard Link for short distances up to 10 meters and the more rigid XL Extra Link for longer distances up to 30 meters and larger.

“We are convinced that our future-oriented CineVersum concept is what our high demanding customers are looking for,†said Tom Vanthuyne Product Group Manager Home Theater. “The advantages are numerous. First, the CineVersum is a total solution, where all components are connected by just one single cable. Combined with the low noise level and the compact size of the display devices, this makes it ideal for home installations. In addition, all input processing is done as close as possible to the sources, which results in optimal image reproduction at all times. Finally, it is a future-proof investment: the CineVersum Master displays today’s and tomorrow’s sources, can be connected to various display technologies, even to more than one display in the same configuration.â€

------------------

;) DVDSlave ;(

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
There is a phenomemon associated with 1-chip DLP's that has been labeled either "matrix" (as John mentions) or "dithering" among other things. It's been discussed quite a lot in several threads.

You will recognize it this way. When objects are panning they will take on a look similiar to your cursor when you have pointer trails turned on. You will see mirror images of the object trailing along with it.

Once the object stops panning the effect disappears. It seems to be most visible with darker objects.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.