AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cant figure out where to post this question... maybe this section can help.

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. Just purchased a panasonic p50s30.... testing out all the features.

I am trying to play a video that is on my usb card, via the usb port on tv. I am able to play video... but get no sound. The file is a .mp4

is there a way to get sound? do I need to convert video to something other than .mp4?

ps, using sony receiver for surround sound if that helps

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Had a quick look at the manual and from what i see you can use mp3 , ac3 or lpcm for video but music can be in aac- mpeg4 . Sounds like audio conversion is in you future .You will have to demux the audio from the movie ,convert and remux. what container is the movie in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure i completely understand at all. Its in mp4..and video works perfect.. no sound. And i read what you read about aac working for audio... and thats exactly what the audio format should be. Its a blu ray rip i believe....

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I did assume, which i shouldn't have, that you are using hdmi. If you are using hdmi then i would suggest you analyze the movie on you computer using a program called mediainfo and it will tell you exactly what codecs are being used. As jschilds suggests you may have a setting wrong on your reciever if you are using something other than hdmi.You have an mp4 container and it can have many different audio codecs muxed in with the movie , media info will tell you for sure.

Also, the manual only shows aac to work when playing music and does not specifically list it as decodeable when in an mp4 container with a movie.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I went to that mediainfo thing... below are what it says.

general: say 1 video stream avc and 1 audio stream aac.

audio:317 kbps, 48,0 khz, 6 channels, aac (lc)

I dont know what any of this means .... and yes I am using hdmi. what settings should surround sound be on? do i need to somehow convert the audio?

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.