AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I really hate to even bring this up...but here goes...

Can anyone really sensitive to the rainbow effect give me some examples of movies and specific scenes that are particularly subject to rainbows?

I know there is a tendency to see them more in dark scenes with bright spots and fast motion....

Please be as specific as you can...I want to test them on a few people.

Thanks,

MQ25

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sure,

The David Lynch movie "Dune", after the opening sequence there is a part where it says "A secret report from within the guild" and it shows you this circle pattern with a line running through the middle.

Go to that scene and look side to side.

Another good example is the opening of any dreamworks movie (especially the gladiator off-color one for some reason). Where you see the Dreamworks logo moving behind some clouds.

Also, try some black and white movies.

·
Registered
317 Posts
We did this a few months ago on this forum, I'm sure, same topic and everything, except the rainbows aren't in the movies; they're in your mind. :D

Try the beginning of Minority Report, and I think someone mentioned the LOTR Mines of Moria thing. Also any movies where someone throws a torch or a pair of headlights sweep the frame.

Good luck,

Matt

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The initial Gladiator post-war scene does it for me:

"Maximus, the Gods must love you"

For more, click the "search" button at the top of this forum. There are lots of good test scenes.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Black and white movies are good.

Oh hell, just do a search...I don't feel like typing all those dozens of movies in (half my movie collection are big rainbow shows to my eyes).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Most movies, The credits.

Try the THX optimizer or Video essentials etc screen for setting contrast/brightness where you have the bright white box on the black background.

Be careful, I accidently 'trained' myself to see them while doing this because I had to keep looking from the screen to my DVD remote control and back again. It took a movie or 2 to get back to rarely seeing them.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxleung
Black and white movies are good.

Oh hell, just do a search...I don't feel like typing all those dozens of movies in (half my movie collection are big rainbow shows to my eyes).
The ultimate black and white movie for this would be Pi. They used some sort of weird process or film that made everything really black and white, no grey. Wasn't really a pleasant experience, but the DVD was part of a 2 pack with Requiem for a Dream for about $12 at www.deepdiscountdvd.com

I've had an X1 for four months and this is the only movie that I've seen lots of rainbows and got a headache from. I don't think the headache was actually from the rainbows, just the flashing when the main character gets his migraines. You really feel his pain :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I want to demo a few scenes on people that will watch my pj alot and see what they think. I won't even tell them about rainbows and see what they have to say. Should prove interesting, I'll post the results.

MQ25

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.